Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I've got goats, they can be horrible, they can also be amazing. They are very active as far as pasture animals go and that can be a problem when you are struggling to keep them enclosed. They also provide endless humor and entertainment because of their activity.

So, if perhaps you live in a household with a few too many personalities, schedules, opinions and NOISE, and you need a quiet activity to keep you amused and bring down your blood pressure, observing goats interacting is just the thing for you. Plus, they're awesome. Just sayin.

I agree, goats are very entertaining. We recently got 4 of them and are enjoying them a lot. Perhaps when you're specifically set up to have goats it makes a difference on the ability to have them. We made sure we've got pens to hold them, but they are just modifed chicken coops (reinforced a bit all around).They are Kinder goats or in simpler terms they are often call Nigerian Dwarfs. We have 1 buck and 3 does.

I agree, goats are very entertaining. We recently got 4 of them and are enjoying them a lot. Perhaps when you're specifically set up to have goats it makes a difference on the ability to have them. We made sure we've got pens to hold them, but they are just modifed chicken coops (reinforced a bit all around).They are Kinder goats or in simpler terms they are often call Nigerian Dwarfs. We have 1 buck and 3 does.
Are they true kinderer? Nigerian dwarf buck, Nubian doe? If so, ummm, we might need to talk come spring.

This is a great idea. I want something similar in my breeder pens if I ever get them up and running. DH says we can either insulate the pipe or run 'heat tape'? along it to keep the pipe from freezing. The pens are a bit far from the house, I'm not sure how I'm going to get electric out there.

How are you making out with your new schedule? I can't imagine having to adjust my sleep patterns like that.

My schedule? Constantly changing, lol. You never get used to it, just survive it.

The party I like about my heated tub/ nipple system is the electricity doesn't have to be as close to the waterers, the piping carries the water where you need it. Of course ½"sch40 is around $3 / 10ft. They sell it's that the nipples screw in to, so the system can be built however you need.

My schedule? Constantly changing, lol. You never get used to it, just survive it.

The party I like about my heated tub/ nipple system is the electricity doesn't have to be as close to the waterers, the piping carries the water where you need it. Of course ½"sch40 is around $3 / 10ft. They sell it's that the nipples screw in to, so the system can be built however you need.
They are not registered, but they are straightbred Kinder goats.

I love my heated water bowls!! Sometimes Walmart has them in with the dog stuff, that way you don't have to order online. I will never do a winter without them again!!! They are a godsend, really.

Eggs will freeze in this cold. As long as the shell is in one piece and not cracked they are safe to eat. The ones that get cracked I cook up frozen for my dogs! It will happen. sigh.

Me too. I think you were the one who alerted us to the great deal on them in the summer. Thank You! It's saved me a lot of cold fingers and worrying. :hugs

I've got goats, they can be horrible, they can also be amazing. They are very active as far as pasture animals go and that can be a problem when you are struggling to keep them enclosed. They also provide endless humor and entertainment because of their activity.

So, if perhaps you live in a household with a few too many personalities, schedules, opinions and NOISE, and you need a quiet activity to keep you amused and bring down your blood pressure, observing goats interacting is just the thing for you. Plus, they're awesome. Just sayin.

Thanks for the a good opinion, glad to hear they are fun when you have the right conditions. When and where is the farm show? :D

@SilkieSensation You need these...

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Myl...d=1420729351&sr=8-1&keywords=Thermals+blanket

I love my heated water bowls!! Sometimes Walmart has them in with the dog stuff, that way you don't have to order online. I will never do a winter without them again!!! They are a godsend, really.

Eggs will freeze in this cold. As long as the shell is in one piece and not cracked they are safe to eat. The ones that get cracked I cook up frozen for my dogs! It will happen. sigh.

Me too. I think you were the one who alerted us to the great deal on them in the summer. Thank You! It's saved me a lot of cold fingers and worrying. :hugs

Thanks for the a good opinion, glad to hear they are fun when you have the right conditions. When and where is the farm show? :D

@SilkieSensation You need these...

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Myl...d=1420729351&sr=8-1&keywords=Thermals+blanket

I've actually used 1 of those before. Definitely prefer my pile of soft fuzzy blankets to a plastic/foil sheet...lol

I've actually used 1 of those before. Definitely prefer my pile of soft fuzzy blankets to a plastic/foil sheet...lol

I'm sure, but I couldn't help myself! Lol. :smack

Do they have chickens? If so, that would really indicate that our hobby has gone mainstream.

Don't think so, but I'll try to introduce them! I joked with my husband I should put a chicken in my purse. But live chicken + lots of dogs = dead chicken and maybe a dog fight. Haha!

The Farm Show is in Harrisburg (at the Farm Show Complex) starting this Saturday, goes all next week: http://www.farmshow.state.pa.us/page/show.aspx

Thanks! If I can get a buddy to go, I would love to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom