Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ohhhh myyyy gosh! My area is expecting 13-21" of snow on Friday to be piled on top of the two or three we'll be getting here and there through the week.
I think I'd better buy a snow shovel. Or bring in all the birds, and let the dog hang in the basement with them when he has to go to the bathroom. :)

Last time we were visiting back home, my 4yo asked my mom why she had so much chicken stuff in her kitchen. She answered "because I like chickens". The 4yo's obvious response was "would you like us to help you get some REAL ones???". Oh yes, she is my junior chicken lady for sure!

So, just before I left for this trip I got the Murray McMurray catalog in the mail so I brought it along and I could tell my mom was seriously toying with the idea of getting some chickens.. she's only interested in colored egg layers and can only have 4 chickens.

Help me build a hypothetical flock! Best variety of egg colors and only 4 birds. Blue, green, chocolate, and... pink? Is that even possible?

Last time we were visiting back home, my 4yo asked my mom why she had so much chicken stuff in her kitchen. She answered "because I like chickens". The 4yo's obvious response was "would you like us to help you get some REAL ones???". Oh yes, she is my junior chicken lady for sure!

So, just before I left for this trip I got the Murray McMurray catalog in the mail so I brought it along and I could tell my mom was seriously toying with the idea of getting some chickens.. she's only interested in colored egg layers and can only have 4 chickens.

Help me build a hypothetical flock! Best variety of egg colors and only 4 birds. Blue, green, chocolate, and... pink? Is that even possible?

I have an EE who lays startlingly blue eggs, but I know that's a crapshoot... Plus she hasn't laid over the winter. My Olive Egger is a bit of a pill, but she's laid reliably this winter, and her eggs are a lovely freckled greenish-brown. SOMEBODY is laying pinkish eggs, but I'm not sure who or if it's a breed trait vs. a one-chicken glitch. All I can tell you is that pinkish eggs are possible, and I suspect either my Barred Rock or the Cochin. I'm sure they're classified as brown but they're a noticeably different color from my other eggs.

I've had a few Welsummer/Welbar eggs that might be viewed as pink, if your definition of "pink" is pretty liberal. They seem to have an excess of bloom that gives them a different look that is kind of pinkish, but it's only occasional, not a particular hen that lays them consistently. I'm pretty sure no chicken lays a consistent, repeatable pink. The Croat Langshans have that reputation, but if they do, it's certainly not all the strains, my late uncle, and now my cousin has had top show stock for decades and I've never seen a pink egg. I'm pretty sure they would have told me if that had pink eggs - it would help chicken sales for sure.

The other colors are easy, of course. If a friend asked me to get a flock like this, I would give them:
- Black sexlink that lays blue eggs
- Cream Legbar
- Welbar or Welsummer
- Bielefelder or Olive Egger

The Welsummers and Olive Eggers are a bit "iffy" about sexing as chicks. If they were close by (so I could take back the extras, meaning we could do straight-run), I'd add some blue Copper Marans or blue Ameraucanas to get a blue colored hen, taking back any cockerels and extra pullets.

Gosh, only 4? This would be so much better with 8 or 10 . . .

Well I went to bed with this.......

And woke up with this...............

Two more external pips this morning so I should have three of the little buggers running around when I get home from work.

Well, if she was really interested, I have a chocolate layer, green layer, and off white in the brooder now lol. I can't giants they're pullets though. I have 1 black copper marans chick, a bunch of ameraucana/rhodebar chicks, and a little cross beak silkie chick looking for a home.

Speaking of which, if anyone would like a silkie, this little one is looking for a pet home. She/he has a cross beak. It's not causing any problems yet.the picture is from about a week ago. She/he is about a month old.

Back
Top Bottom