Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

When all is said and done, I like straw best. The sand I got never did thoroughly dry out before I had to start using it. It was already in the fall, and I went away for a week for Christmas. It was a mess when I got back. I do think it would not have been bad had it been dry from the beginning.
Sand is heavy when using it in a 12x12 coop. It was cheap thogh.
Pine chips are OK, but they are not very easy to muck out.
Straw. Ahhhh, straw! One bale lasts me quite a while. Because of its size, it is easy to turn over with a pitchfork. Mucking it out of the coop is also a lot easier because of its size.
We got sand from the quarry and it was wet/damp when dh hauled, but spread it in the coop and it dried FAST. Thinking it was end of summer when we did that. I could see why yours didn't dry and caused a mess for you. The summer heat in the coop worked like a charm drying out our sand. That is something else I like about the sand. It dries so fast. Birds poop and the sand clumps around it and dries it out quickly. It was fabulous in winter. Frozen poop sitting on top of sand. So easy to clean. No stink, no staying wet and nasty, etc.

Now in the run, again, works great, but if there are days on end of rain, it does start to stink b/c the poop just sits on top of wet/packed sand. Easy to remedy though. Just rake the run when the rain is done and it dries out and the poop disappears.

You're right, sand is heavier so that would be a consideration depending on your coop set-up

Adorable! Is he your new addition?
My foxes always came in the early morning, but I am in the suburbs. I free ranged in my fenced in backyard, but locked them up almost every night and only let them out after the sun was up. My attacks happened more frequently in the fall, probably when food was scarcer.
I let my girls free range during the day, but they had plenty of cover from Hawks and the foxes only seemed to strike in the early morning. Again, that was in the suburbs.
You always need more birds! :lol:
Pickering Valley Feed has them in the spring, not sure where you are located.
Pickering isn't too far from me. I will check them out! Thanks!

Hatch started last night. So far, I think I have 4 of 10 hatched.
wee.gif

Anyone need some colored egg layers to add to their flock? I think I have about 7 left, around 10 weeks old that look like they're probably girls. I have a ton of cockerels too if anyone needs one lol

Hatch started last night. So far, I think I have 4 of 10 hatched.
Awesome!

Pickering isn't too far from me. I will check them out! Thanks!
They won't have any right now. They were sold out of swedish flower before they even arrived at the store this year. If you want them, you need to call the store and pre-order in the spring a few weeks before they arrive.

Anyone need some colored egg layers to add to their flock? I think I have about 7 left, around 10 weeks old that look like they're probably girls. I have a ton of cockerels too if anyone needs one lol

LOL... getting ready to advertise some myself, 4 broodies recently gave up their chicks, 2 more still have chicks, one hatched on the 4th (8 chicks) and 2 more are still setting. Apparently the hens are in full "it's too hot to bother egging so we want to hatch chicks" mode.

Back
Top Bottom