Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Chick cuteness helps with dealing with the craptastic loss of Bridget. this is Rory. In other news, my husband, who isn't really involved with the Fiends except for building the coop and run, has developed a new "hobby" of sorts. He goes out into the yard several times a day to pick Japanese beetles off the cherry trees. Serena and Colleen know to follow him around for the juicy treats now. Mostly Serena. Funny to see this wee brown bird following this huge (6'4" and close to 300 lbs) guy around demanding treats.
I'm so sorry you lost her, not knowing why had to make it even worse. I am glad to see you have such cuteness to concentrate on right now. :hugs My hubby is 6'5" and a total mushy slave when it comes to his birds.... sounds like your guy is falling for them despite his best attempts not to! :yesss:

Keep her quiet as long as you can, the bone injuries are usually apparent but it is the ligament and tendon damage done by hyper extension which are usually the bigger problem and really can't be felt. If no crepitace or deformity are noted and instability and weakness are still present after a few days I would expect ligament or tendon damage, it can still heal (if not completely torn through or detached), but takes quite a while.

So @fisherlady - I've got a limping bird too. :/ Noticed this morning when I went out to feed/water, etc. I don't see anything obvious, but not sure what I should be looking for? The bottom of her foot looks alright. No swelling that I notice, but maybe I should check again this evening now. No discoloration.

She doesn't want to stand on her leg and isn't straightening it at all. When she walks, she is favoring the other leg and just quickly putting her toenails down to until she can hop to the good leg.

Does anyone have any ideas? What should I be checking/looking for? How can I help her?

Chick cuteness helps with dealing with the craptastic loss of Bridget. this is Rory. In other news, my husband, who isn't really involved with the Fiends except for building the coop and run, has developed a new "hobby" of sorts. He goes out into the yard several times a day to pick Japanese beetles off the cherry trees. Serena and Colleen know to follow him around for the juicy treats now. Mostly Serena. Funny to see this wee brown bird following this huge (6'4" and close to 300 lbs) guy around demanding treats.
:hugs to you. Cute baby. And :lau about your husband.

So @fisherlady
 - I've got a limping bird too. :/ Noticed this morning when I went out to feed/water, etc. I don't see anything obvious, but not sure what I should be looking for? The bottom of her foot looks alright. No swelling that I notice, but maybe I should check again this evening now. No discoloration. 

She doesn't want to stand on her leg and isn't straightening it at all. When she walks, she is favoring the other leg and just quickly putting her toenails down to until she can hop to the good leg. 

Does anyone have any ideas? What should I be checking/looking for? How can I help her? 

I have had birds do this when they have jumped down from somewhere and sprained a joint, their hips are prone to sprains or strains, hopefully that is the issue with your hen. When I notice a limping bird I isolate them in the 'hospital pen' for a few days to let the joint rest without aggravation. Watch the hen closely because they will further the damage in an attempt to keep up and not show weakness....

Queenie is up and moving! She was laying around all day and stumbling every time she tried to walk but right now she's standing up and looking around. I'll keep her inside another day or two but right now, it's looking like the injury may not be as bad as I thought. She's not keeping a lot of weight on that leg but she is using it.

I have a question on making my chicken coop. They are to have lots of ventilation. ... but what about keeping warm in winter? How do you do that with adequate ventilation? And yes I am VERY new to this! But enjoying my couple ducks n chickens.

I have had birds do this when they have jumped down from somewhere and sprained a joint, their hips are prone to sprains or strains, hopefully that is the issue with your hen. When I notice a limping bird I isolate them in the 'hospital pen' for a few days to let the joint rest without aggravation. Watch the hen closely because they will further the damage in an attempt to keep up and not show weakness....
I hope that is all as well. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted!

Queenie is up and moving! She was laying around all day and stumbling every time she tried to walk but right now she's standing up and looking around. I'll keep her inside another day or two but right now, it's looking like the injury may not be as bad as I thought. She's not keeping a lot of weight on that leg but she is using it.
That is great news!!

Back
Top Bottom