Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My New girl arrived !But I am stuck in the hospital so my "ciity boy" husband is on duty. He has her quarantined on the porch off our bed room---what else? Electrolytes ?This is my first time posting from a phone so I apologize if something comes out screwy!

l
Sadly, most ads are on Facebook now. Sad because I don't use Facebook anymore.

Last edited:
She is beautiful...for stressed birds I like to give a scrambled egg (mushed up) and some electrolyte or supplement in the water, we usually use nutridrench just because it covers mosts needs.

Thank you! I will have my son scramble her up some! She is my (late ) anniversary present.
I assume she doesn't need heat, even if she is all by herself?

I think I bought the wrong stuff. I just wanted an antibiotic that I could give orally by syringe to my turkey.
This should work for respiratory problems. If it is injectable, you will need a needle on the syringe to get a small amount out, then remove the needle before squirting it into the turkey's mouth. I do this with Tylan-50. Figuring out the right amount is the trick, but I think it's hard to overdose orally, so I would make a good estimate and then round up a little. When I used Tylan orally on turkeys it didn't really seem to help much. In hindsight I might have been under-dosing.
Thanks Dennis. I gave it a go. The dosage says 4.5 ml for 100 lbs of body weight. I figure she weighs about 10 lbs., maybe a couple less. So I gave her .5ml just now. She was not happy, but I think I got it down her throat. Hard to tell because she was squirming, but I think at night when she is roosting is the best time for sure. I'm guessing I should continue for 7 days? I'm going to check the package now to see what they recommend. Fingers crossed for Wheezy to only be wheezy in name from now on. :lol: On a positive note, the one California grey has made a full recovery. All of your chickens are doing well! :thumbsup

Just read the label, looks like it should not be given for more than 4 consecutive days. I will probably still give her a dose tomorrow night. The package says you should see symptoms improve writhing 24-48 hours. Will be updating....

Just read the label, looks like it should not be given for more than 4 consecutive days. I will probably still give her a dose tomorrow night. The package says you should see symptoms improve writhing 24-48 hours. Will be updating....
Since the dosage is for injection, and the oral might not be totally absorbed, I would consider doubling the dosage, or giving it to her twice a day. But I am guessing here.

Thank you! I will have my son scramble her up some! She is my (late ) anniversary present.
I assume she doesn't need heat, even if she is all by herself?

No heat required, in fact birds like it just a bit on the cool side much of the time, if you are keeping her in the house then place her in a cooler area such as a laundry room or basement area...she will need to be ready to deal with the colder temps outside when she is released from quarantine, so garage is good also.

I'm so mad. I had a predator attack last night. Nothing got into my "coop" setup, but some of the smaller chickens were near the edge. This was their first night in the big run and I thought they would be okay. A couple were near the edge on a cinder block, and I think a raccoon grabbed them. Two had heads missing, and the third one is alive, but barely. She has her leg almost completely bitten off. Is there any chance of me cutting her leg the rest of the way off and saving her? I just removed her from the enclosure and put her in a critter cage inside. I have to decide to do something in an hour or so. :hit

I feel like such a jerk. I tried to predator proof it the best I could, but I didn't put hardware cloth around the bottom because it was temporary. I was supposed to have my shed delve red by now, but the guy called yesterday because his truck broke down. :(. I don't know what to do...

Edited to add: She is chirping and alert, raised her head to look at me. I put some flour on her temporarily as a styptic. I think I might clip the leg and see if she makes it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom