Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

We are about 15 minutes from the Fort Littleton exit.

I live in the southern most tip of Huntingdon County, 30 minutes south of Mount Union (I'm actually an hour from Huntingdon). Are you from Huntingdon? And how did you end up at Juniata if you aren't?

I'm from eastern PA - Lehigh Valley/Allentown area and live about an hour northwest of Pittsburgh now (we make fairly regular trips back home, hence the route for the chicken train). I came across Juniata while looking for a liberal arts school with a good environmental science program. I was drawn in by the field station at Raystown Lake and the study abroad opportunity in Ecuador. It really is a great school. I graduated in 2004 and I hear they've made a lot of improvements, especially at the field station since then. I'm a stay at home mom now raising 3 children and 2 coops full of chickens, a pair of rabbits, and a dog... still paying off my student loans, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything!

Sounds like Fort Littleton is going to be a new stop on the chicken train :) I'm not sure exactly what my Spring plans are yet... probably can't do a train for our March trip. But I'm pretty sure we'll be able to run a train for our Easter trip.

I found a dead rat today
hmm.png
I've never seen one besides the fancy pet ones before and I have no idea how long it was there. I don't know if maybe the flock killed it or if it was dead a while ago and hidden under the snow. It looked like maybe a juvenile. It was big bit not huge...it makes me nervous.

Hot ****! Rat Stew!!
droolin.gif

I know there are lots of forums, but I would rather ask you all this.

Is it possible for an egg to freeze (or partially freeze) and not crack? I have cracked a few eggs throughout the winter and the egg yolk seems thick. I'm not sure how else to describe it. The yolks have ranged a bit from ones that needed extra whisking to be blended to ones that seemed almost solid in consistency.

I wasn't sure if I should eat them or not and I can't even be positive that these eggs were from the coldest days because they didn't crack and they went right into the fridge with the rest. I have my eggs "in order" but we are a week or two behind most of the time.

Any thoughts
ur right, problem, eat
thumbsup.gif
and enjoy

my little silkie is late in going  broody:barnie

I was surprised by ours recently, they actually took off most of December and January... but two of Gracie's daughters went broody within a few days of each other and are now sitting on 6 silkie eggs each. Hoping they have a decent hatch.

And in other news...Our best silver pencil rock broody, Lacey, should hatch out a few today, and our black jersey giant, Rosey, parked herself 2 days ago and is waiting for eggs herself. Looks like spring hatching mentality is starting to kick in.

I'm from eastern PA - Lehigh Valley/Allentown area and live about an hour northwest of Pittsburgh now (we make fairly regular trips back home, hence the route for the chicken train). I came across Juniata while looking for a liberal arts school with a good environmental science program. I was drawn in by the field station at Raystown Lake and the study abroad opportunity in Ecuador. It really is a great school. I graduated in 2004 and I hear they've made a lot of improvements, especially at the field station since then. I'm a stay at home mom now raising 3 children and 2 coops full of chickens, a pair of rabbits, and a dog... still paying off my student loans, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything!

Sounds like Fort Littleton is going to be a new stop on the chicken train :) I'm not sure exactly what my Spring plans are yet... probably can't do a train for our March trip. But I'm pretty sure we'll be able to run a train for our Easter trip.
I'll be gone from Good Friday until Easter Sunday, but other then that will be around.

My husband is from Huntingdon County..I am from Chester County. We met at PSU and graduated in 2004 also! Then we moved briefly to Cameron County, but his goal was always to return here to work/have a family. I am a SAHM also to our 2 boys but our animals start and end with chickens (unless you count goldfish)!

I'll be gone from Good Friday until Easter Sunday, but other then that will be around.

My husband is from Huntingdon County..I am from Chester County. We met at PSU and graduated in 2004 also! Then we moved briefly to Cameron County, but his goal was always to return here to work/have a family. I am a SAHM also to our 2 boys but our animals start and end with chickens (unless you count goldfish)!

Chickens are just a gateway drug.

Back
Top Bottom