Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This article that you've posted is about low path AI found in Alabama, unfortunately a 2nd outbreak of High Path was found in Tennessee. PA has such strict policies with these outbreaks that I don't worry for my flock as much as I get disappointed when the shows are cancelled. We are currently designing a coop for Call Ducks, it's for a 'Know Your Breed" project my son signed up for at 4-H, at this point, the project leader is leaning toward cancelling the project. No shows have been cancelled yet, in PA anyway, but I feel it coming.

I thought I should add, anyone that knows me, knows that I don't do ducks. As it is my son's senior year, I'm wiling to come around for his sake just this once, but it seems as if he won't be doing the project. I think I'll still make the coop and maybe get eggs from a call breeder, I've already got in my head what I want to do and I just can't stop thinking about it.
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for a coop for Calls. I have seen some pretty elaborate pens that look like large rabbit hutches, with a wire floor run containing the water and a sunken pool made from a plastic concrete mixing tub. With plumbing added, the pool is easy to drain and refill. An enclosed area with a solid floor is where they sleep.

Calls are notoriously hard to hatch in incubators. I was looking into Black East Indie or Australian Spotted ducks instead of Calls.BEI are easy to get as ducklings, but the AS are hard to find and that intrigues me. There are also silkied bantam ducks (Calls, I believe). I'm not sure what I think of them.

[VIDEO]

Haha! I'm on the phone, and distracted. All six chickens laid in the box yesterday. :D Unfortunately, catching birds in a dark coop means mistakes happen. The top and bottom eggs are from chickens that aren't supposed to be there. Oh well!
You can see in the video that the ducks are very happy.

Aveuss (we adults would spell it "Avius" or "Aveus") is the injured one, Gilligan is the other Mallard. The Pekin mix is Tristin.
Blue Boy is the fourth duck in the video. I think he's a Muscovy. There is a goose too.

Okay, so I really want to raise some chickens for meat. I know it will be tough when processing day comes, but I really want good quality meat. I would like to try these guys, since I just want to allow them to free range. Should I get them in about a week or so? I figure that way, I can process in May. Going to start with 10, since I'm a bit nervous. Any suggestions? I will be doing all processing myself, unless I can get a friend to stop by, which is unlikely.

http://www.moyerschicks.com/catalog/colored-slow-grow-broilers

Okay, so I really want to raise some chickens for meat.  I know it will be tough when processing day comes, but  I really want good quality meat.  I would like to try these guys, since I just want to allow them to free range.  Should I get them in about a week or so?  I figure that way, I can process in May.  Going to start with 10, since I'm a bit nervous. Any suggestions?  I will be doing all processing myself, unless I can get a friend to stop by, which is unlikely.

http://www.moyerschicks.com/catalog/colored-slow-grow-broilers

I suggest FF! Less stink, more meat!
That is it :D

Back
Top Bottom