Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I put the blue saddle on a different hen and she's fine with it. I think it just depends on the hen, some are more skittish than others. Tiny was pulling at the saddle when I took the picture, that's why the elastic was pulled like that. I keep having to fix it on her but hope she will get used to it soon. Do you leave it on 24/7 until the feathers regrow?

We got rid of one rooster, and hope that the last one (our barred rock roo) will calm down with the mating and let the girls get some feathers back. I wonder if I should clip his nails and his spur? One hen has missing feathers on her head... I don't understand why some are really roughed up and the others are completely fine? Does he really just prefer those 3-4 girls only?

Most roos will pick a few favorite hens that they'll mate repeatedly. Those are the ones that get most roughed up. I leave saddles on at all times until the feathers completely grow back in.

When Daffodil died, I impulse bought a feed store Australop and a Delaware--(I wanted a white chicken.)
I named them Jessica Jones and Trish and Trish went from being a fluffy yellow chick to a pushy , almost aggressive adolescent.
Trish is on the far right--do I have a cockerel there?
chickens 6.2018.jpg
?

I'll be okay. I knew this was his last summer. He was receiving monthly steroid shots to help him feel better. He was able to enjoy a few months outside in the sunshine, and I am very grateful for that. :hugs

I’m so sorry dear, that’s so very hard to do. Sounds like you did the best that you could.

When Daffodil died, I impulse bought a feed store Australop and a Delaware--(I wanted a white chicken.)
I named them Jessica Jones and Trish and Trish went from being a fluffy yellow chick to a pushy , almost aggressive adolescent.
Trish is on the far right--do I have a cockerel there?View attachment 1414598 ?

I suspect a roo, those legs look thick and the wattles are big too. The tail seems suspicious as well. Sorry!

D4B412DD-C711-4415-91D5-1A7DB4757BB0.jpeg

Introducing our latest addition. Her name is Maple, and we got her at the adoption event yesterday. She is (supposedly) a husky mix (perhaps with some shepherd?). She came up from North Carolina, and was just spayed on Thursday! She is pretty skinny and was probably roaming the streets. But she has a very calm way about her and she is very intelligent also. I wanted a large dog, and a calm dog. Time will tell, but I think I got both.

She is getting along famously with my other dog, and when I took her around the free ranging chickens, (she was on leash of course), she seemed alert, but not overly excited. It should help that my other dog doesn’t care about the flock. Both dogs got an hour+ long walk today and are both napping.

Well it's official, I will no longer be breeding legbars. I only have 2 left now, the first one I ever hatched (Sky) and a pullet from a January hatch. The rest are gone. I'm sad to see them go but I needed to make a tough choice. The ones hatched early this year were absolutely gorgeous.

View attachment 1414628

Introducing our latest addition. Her name is Maple, and we got her at the adoption event yesterday. She is (supposedly) a husky mix (perhaps with some shepherd?). She came up from North Carolina, and was just spayed on Thursday! She is pretty skinny and was probably roaming the streets. But she has a very calm way about her and she is very intelligent also. I wanted a large dog, and a calm dog. Time will tell, but I think I got both.

She is getting along famously with my other dog, and when I took her around the free ranging chickens, (she was on leash of course), she seemed alert, but not overly excited. It should help that my other dog doesn’t care about the flock. Both dogs got an hour+ long walk today and are both napping.

Congrats on the new addition, sounds like she is a good fit for you.

In the picture you posted her face looks a bit "collie" to me... but that would be a good thing. :)

Trish is on the far right--do I have a cockerel there?View attachment 1414598 ?

Sure looks like a cockerel to me.

Congrats on the new addition, sounds like she is a good fit for you.

In the picture you posted her face looks a bit "collie" to me... but that would be a good thing. :)

Thanks, I agreee, looks like a collie snout. The poor thing just threw up a few times. She hasn’t eaten today, and I’m thinking it’s because they prescribed her doxycycline that we have been giving her. That plus stress... Hope she relaxes. She has been pacing and whining when I leave.

View attachment 1414628

She is absolutely beautiful! She looks collie/german shepherd to me. Phermone sprays help a lot with separation anxiety--sometimes they grow out of it, sometimes they just need a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom