Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Awesome. Great insight. Appreciate it! I won't ask what a broody breaker pen is yet but, I'll put it on my list for when the time comes... Heh.
Some people here seem to "attract" broody hens and have to go to great lengths to break them. I have few problems with anything except bantam cochins and silkies (who are bred to have that trait in spades). All I have to do is move a broody to any other pen for a few days and she quits. Some breeds almost never go broody, and they tend to be the better layers anyway. When those breeds do go broody, they make terrible mothers, in my experience.

@LittleMissPurdy

Haha! Thank you! I appreciate your long winded-ness. I will certainly keeping asking... currently just reading and taking everything in... :)

@dheltzel is one of the best poultry gurus we have here :bow..:old
He is like that EF Hutton commercial "when dheltzel talks, people listen", very good advise for real.
Oh man, I just flaunted my age right there:rolleyes:
Our first coop was purchased.
To be honest it would never have housed the girls I have, they are too big. Maybe if we only had 2, maybe 3 birds tops..large breed. Of course you can fit a bunch of Quail & smaller breed chicken in there.
We use it now for a brooder box & also meat bird containment. They get too big to waddle up the ramp anyway.
If we would have kept it out in the elements it would definitely needed retreated/painted & a new slanted egg box roof. Not to mention a whole lot of securing it from the wind (drafts), with the use of tarps/straw bales etc.
**It did it's job for the first two hens we had, we made many tarp "tents" over it to get it through a full year. (pain in the butt).
We then had a lean-to built, from there we enclosed the lean-to & add a much larger run.
Now we are looking to roof the rest of the run and adding large doors for maintenance & possibly housing the rabbits under roof. In their own coop.
100_4645.JPG

**the purchased coop under roof. Just taking up quality room right now.
100_4510.JPG

The rest of the run that needs to be roofed. Welded wire , doors, kick-board at the bottom to hold the mulch in when they toss it around. Everything will be blended and cohesive when it all said & done...whenever that is.:idunno

@dheltzel is one of the best poultry gurus we have here :bow..:old
He is like that EF Hutton commercial "when dheltzel talks, people listen", very good advise for real.
Oh man, I just flaunted my age right there:rolleyes:
Our first coop was purchased.
To be honest it would never have housed the girls I have, they are too big. Maybe if we only had 2, maybe 3 birds tops..large breed. Of course you can fit a bunch of Quail & smaller breed chicken in there.
We use it now for a brooder box & also meat bird containment. They get too big to waddle up the ramp anyway.
If we would have kept it out in the elements it would definitely needed retreated/painted & a new slanted egg box roof. Not to mention a whole lot of securing it from the wind (drafts), with the use of tarps/straw bales etc.
**It did it's job for the first two hens we had, we made many tarp "tents" over it to get it through a full year. (pain in the butt).
We then had a lean-to built, from there we enclosed the lean-to & add a much larger run.
Now we are looking to roof the rest of the run and adding large doors for maintenance & possibly housing the rabbits under roof. In their own coop.
View attachment 1688860
**the purchased coop under roof. Just taking up quality room right now.
View attachment 1688862
The rest of the run that needs to be roofed. Welded wire , doors, kick-board at the bottom to hold the mulch in when they toss it around. Everything will be blended and cohesive when it all said & done...whenever that is.:idunno

Ohhh! Thank you for the photos!! I often wonder if the coop I buy will be big enough for 6 hens... Advertising vs. Reality. I'd hate for them to be cramped inside or have trouble walking up the ramp...

Found 1 last night and 1 this morning. My chickens lay brown eggs. I do have 2 that will lay greenish blue eggs sometimes. But these are white looking.
Could these be duck eggs?View attachment 1689178
they look really big..but I might not be seeing them right compared to the carton?:idunno
and I don't have ducks so i am pretty much no help at all:rolleyes:..hahaha,

Back
Top Bottom