Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

What space do they need in a coop? Chickens rule of thumb is 2 sq ft per bird, so I'll have 50sq ft extra in my new coop. How much sq ft do turkeys need?

I was always told 4 Sq ft of floor space per LF chicken (half that for bantams) and 10 Sq ft per turkey (coop) with 12" roost space per chicken. For run space, 10 Sq ft per chicken and probably 25 sq ft per turkey. That being said, i think that's for birds that are cooped all the time. I routinely break those amounts (for the chickens) but they free range all day, every day

Hi All,

New to BYC and first time chicken owner but have lived in PA all my life. Just moved to a small farm in Berks County in December and am excited to start my chicken flock. Got 12 chicks 3 weeks ago and they've already grown so much!! Just wanted to say hi!!
Welcome! I'm in northern Chester Co, very close to Berks. If you need more chicks, ducks, turkeys, etc, let me know. I have lots to sell right now.

In the wilds of PA today...
View attachment 1749838
not knowledgeable on the species of ducks, but the 'gray' one had a feather in it's mouth..maybe a female? They were beautiful in person.
Then we drove a bit further and a turkey was crossing the road...to get to the other side:lau..sorry, I had to do it!
It is the dark spot on the left side of the road...sorry pic is not better...had an older camera with us. Don't want to take the new one out & have it plop into the creek or something like that.:rolleyes:
View attachment 1749846
Spotted a few awesome wild flowers out there too! Would LOVE to have these growing in the yard:love
They were so thick in some places, you wouldn't want to walk for fear of stepping on them. Gorgeous nature, it smelled so good out there. The creeks are still very high & fast. *(see first pic), Makes for very difficult fishing. DH did catch two more for the freezer...so I am way behind now.
Totally cool with me though, just being out & in the woods...away from "things to do"..very good for the soul. We should all do this more.:D Whatever your bliss may be.
View attachment 1749849 View attachment 1749848 View attachment 1749847
View attachment 1749853 View attachment 1749859 View attachment 1749860

We have been getting 4 regularly now. They are really happy with the garden & yard freedom.
White ones are "Dutchman's Breeches", Yellow is called "Trout Lily" and the maroon ones are Trilliums. All are available from wild flower nurseries and the white and maroon ones are pretty easy to grow.

Back
Top Bottom