Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I miss having an incubating app. The new phone doesn’t support Hatchabatch. I remembered to add a note on when eggs were set, and I am eventually going to dig out an old phone, and use that for tracking in the future.
I dropped an incubator egg, but it still seems to be alive. Duckling identified life in all six of the incubator eggs last night, and I don’t candle broody eggs.

I don't have that app. I put it in my phone calender. And my new incubator has a countdown, and you can set for how ever many days the eggs you are putting in need.

The girls are a few days ahead of the incubator. Will there be a problem integrating the newborns? In my mind, the newborns can keep up with the older siblings by morning. What say you?
We have mixed them up to about 2.5-3 days, but when doing so we make sure they are in a restricted area for the first 5 to 7 days to give the littles a chance to get past the toddling stage before being expected to run around outside. By day 5 you can't really tell which are which for mobility, so you have to look at wing feathers.
Another thing we noted, some hens are picky about chick color after day 2... If they have all darker chicks initially they may refuse to take a blonde chick as a transplant, or vice versa. When we graft chicks we try to mix colors so hens don't get 'prejudiced' , this is due to us having multiple broods running around the yard at any given time and it helps keep the peace because when any broody clucks that they have found a goody the chicks from 3 other hens usually come running. The hens tend to willingly feed any chicks who respond unless there is a great age difference and usually the problems are when older chicks try to bully the broody's smaller ones, then she gets testy.

I put my March babies in a dog cage in the coop with the big girls... the big girls give off a lot of heat.
Our chicks were hatched together, but your chicks feathered better. My silver welbar still has bold spots under her wing. I guess I let mine stay in basement for too long.

How long have they been out there? They should be ok as long as there's no drafts. I have young ones outside too that I just moved out on Monday. I'm not
They has been in the coop for a week, off heat for 2 weeks. I went to check them last night. They piled in a corner of the coop and seemed warm, so I let them alone. They are ok today:)

Soooo, this is what last week’s wind did to one of my coops and run. So GLAD there were no chickens in it.

C99E353D-34E9-45E3-A435-9DB0CF2494B7.jpeg

Soooo, this is what last week’s wind did to one of my coops and run. So GLAD there were no chickens in it.

View attachment 2131516

Wow! That sucks, but so glad no animals were involved. I'm guessing the goat pens were ok? Hope you can at least salvage some materials for another build. Always fun to plan a new coop, seems like there are always changes we want to make after experiences with our original coops.

Back
Top Bottom