Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

What about something like these designs? I was thinking of something similar for myself, till I realized that with my very hilly yard that no chicken tractor would be easy to move anywhere and it would never sit level. Still for you it might be an option since it's rounded it isn't as susceptible to tipping or flipping in the wind, can be staked down if needed and should be able to be moved with a hand truck. I know a lot of people put tarps on the cattle panel design tractors but I personally think sheet metal (if painted with rust proofing) or some other light roofing material is a longer lasting nicer looking option.
I've built similar designs in the past and was unhappy with them overall. My designs and pics of building one are very popular here on BYC. I still get comments on it.
Every one I made ended up getting picked up and trashed by thunderstorms or high winds. Something about that tunnel-like design that lets it go parasailing at times.
Not very pretty either. My current design is great for growouts and is essential for my goose raising efforts, but not ideal for a group of breeding birds that need nestboxes and roosts, so I'm going back to the drawing board to make it better. Still keeping that one though, just adding more.

I have lots of flat ground and so movable designs are perfect for me. Not ideal for everyone, but I have had 4 or 5 large hoop houses going at once in the past. Growing out chicks and ducks was much better in movable pens.

I've built similar designs in the past and was unhappy with them overall. My designs and pics of building one are very popular here on BYC. I still get comments on it.
Every one I made ended up getting picked up and trashed by thunderstorms or high winds. Something about that tunnel-like design that lets it go parasailing at times.
Not very pretty either. My current design is great for growouts and is essential for my goose raising efforts, but not ideal for a group of breeding birds that need nestboxes and roosts, so I'm going back to the drawing board to make it better. Still keeping that one though, just adding more.

I have lots of flat ground and so movable designs are perfect for me. Not ideal for everyone, but I have had 4 or 5 large hoop houses going at once in the past. Growing out chicks and ducks was much better in movable pens.
Thanks for the info about those tunnel style ones getting trashed by wind or storm! I'm glad now I never made one.

28 now with light snow flurries, down to 18 tonight and a high of 34 for tomorrow here, it's been lightly snowing off and on all day, not much accumulation though. I just came back in from putting the plastic up around the run...trying to reload the staple gun with frozen fingers is no fun! But that task is now done thankfully. I would have waited but it's pretty breezy here so my chickies are happy now.
I should have know better. Now we're supposed to have a near record high for tomorrow 12/2 of 57 F. I can be sure that if I had not put the plastic up it would be near or below freezing and still snowing. :lau

I should have know better. Now we're supposed to have a near record high for tomorrow 12/2 of 57 F. I can be sure that if I had not put the plastic up it would be near or below freezing and still snowing. :lau
My Dad has a pickup truck with a plow. In the late fall we all urge him to put the plow on the truck because we know if he doesn’t, we will get slammed with early snow! 🤣🤣🤣

Bless you! I need a warm day to get some work done at the farm.

My Dad has a pickup truck with a plow. In the late fall we all urge him to put the plow on the truck because we know if he doesn’t, we will get slammed with early snow! 🤣🤣🤣
My BIL has a giant, tractor-mounted show blower. About a 12 ft intake and can send the snow a long distance. Most years he waits until a blizzard is in the making and then puts the thing on when it is snowing and bitterly cold. Last year he got it on in November. That is why we got less than a half inch total snow all winter!
He is planning to put it on the tractor this weekend I think.

My BIL has a giant, tractor-mounted show blower. About a 12 ft intake and can send the snow a long distance. Most years he waits until a blizzard is in the making and then puts the thing on when it is snowing and bitterly cold. Last year he got it on in November. That is why we got less than a half inch total snow all winter!
He is planning to put it on the tractor this weekend I think.
That's usually how it works!!

I moved 100 chickens of various ages into breeding or growout pens today! Very few are left in housing that is unsuitable for winter, though a few pens are a bit crowded at the moment. Now if only some of the outdoor runs would dry out some . . .

I moved 100 chickens of various ages into breeding or growout pens today! Very few are left in housing that is unsuitable for winter, though a few pens are a bit crowded at the moment. Now if only some of the outdoor runs would dry out some . . .
Since it's going to be rainy all day tomorrow and possibly monday it may be a bit longer before anything dries out.☹️

Back
Top Bottom