Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

good morning all ii just finished up my 4 egg omlet! i was wondering if anyone has experience with guinea hens? i heard they were the best tick defense.. i have a 100 acre farm wwith my nearest neighbor being about a mile or so from me so them roaming wont be aan issue. A couple deer we shot in archery had ticks then my dog got one and i had to remove 3 ticks from my son.. so now me and tthese ticks have an issue!! aany advice?

Pngzv... I don't have guineas myself, but have a friend who does, and he is very happy with the 'tick defense' they have provided at his place... His only complaint of them (and it doesn't really bother him much) is they are a 'noisy' bunch. Guess they do chatter a lot and he says his wife and daughter 'spoiled' them when they were raising them so they do come running looking for treats when anyone comes outside!

Are you all gearing up for spring? I would love to hear your plans?
Spent part of the day yesterday sorting birds into breeding groups. Theoretically, I'm not planing to get any new kinds of birds this year. That won't last....

I have salmon faverolles - they started as hatchery birds, but I've been working on them for a few generations. I'll never show, so the finer points or appearance are lost on me, but I always want meaty birds and hens that lay regularly. I do try to keep the standard in mind so I have pretty birds with no glaring faults. Last years birds are not laying yet, and the older ones are soup.

Last spring, I hatched a lot of marans from different sources, black, blue & cuckoo. This year, I am selecting for size and egg color, and have couple pens separated, with more needed.

My other project is playing with blue & splash Ameraucanas, but I'm not sure if I'll just hatch my own, or bringin some new stock. If I do decide to get new birds, heatherscooby is close by.

Yesterday i got the idea to try Delawares, maybe crossing with marans as meat birds. All because I was price shopping on red sex link chicks. I see huge feed bills in my future.

i was wondering if anyone has experience with guinea hens? i heard they were the best tick defense.. i have a 100 acre farm wwith my nearest neighbor being about a mile or so from me so them roaming wont be aan issue. A couple deer we shot in archery had ticks then my dog got one and i had to remove 3 ticks from my son.. so now me and tthese ticks have an issue!! aany advice?
This is the first year I've had guineas, and I like them a lot more than I thought I would. I can't say if they help with ticks or not, cause we still have ticks. 3 of my dogs have had Lyme, and so do I. Can't hurt to have guineas, though.

Spent part of the day yesterday sorting birds into breeding groups. Theoretically, I'm not planing to get any new kinds of birds this year. That won't last....

I have salmon faverolles - they started as hatchery birds, but I've been working on them for a few generations. I'll never show, so the finer points or appearance are lost on me, but I always want meaty birds and hens that lay regularly. I do try to keep the standard in mind so I have pretty birds with no glaring faults. Last years birds are not laying yet, and the older ones are soup.

Last spring, I hatched a lot of marans from different sources, black, blue & cuckoo. This year, I am selecting for size and egg color, and have couple pens separated, with more needed.

My other project is playing with blue & splash Ameraucanas, but I'm not sure if I'll just hatch my own, or bringin some new stock. If I do decide to get new birds, heatherscooby is close by.

Yesterday i got the idea to try Delawares, maybe crossing with marans as meat birds. All because I was price shopping on red sex link chicks. I see huge feed bills in my future.

Sounds like you have some really good plans in place!

I totally get what you mean about the feed bill. This will be my first year with LF!

This is the first year I've had guineas, and I like them a lot more than I thought I would. I can't say if they help with ticks or not, cause we still have ticks. 3 of my dogs have had Lyme, and so do I. Can't hurt to have guineas, though.
I felt the same with mine. Did'nt think I would like them, but I do a lot.

Now you know why I'm going to the Farm Show.
Ohhhhh......
thumbsup.gif

Okay. Met our friend from the north this morning and it was great to have met them. She not only brought some new young ones, but took some home and she brought me some eggies. Does anyone have eggs that I can throw in the bator?

Back
Top Bottom