Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome to showing!!
Things absolutely needed to enter show-
1; Blood test your birds. This is required to prevent the possible spread of Avian Influenza and Pollorum. It is recommended to send a copy of the testing along with your entry, but if you can't make it by then, bringing it to coop in should be fine! If you've never tested your flock or you're not a certified tester, find a local poultry technician to test for you :)
2; Fill out and entry form/Pay entry fees. If you have any questions for filling these out, feel free to ask away!
Show info is easily available here-
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/York_County_Poultry_Fanciers.html

You must have your birds cooped in by 9 am on Saturday!!

Things recommended for entering the show-
1; Wash your birds! This can make all the difference in the end! Clean birds are winning birds. Also, touching up combs and wattles with baby oil or petroleum jelly makes them seems brighter and healthier. Don't forget to file down beaks and nails after bathing
2; Spray your birds! It's absolutely unbelievable the amount of external parasite problems picked up at even the little local shows! Spraying birds down lightly with something that will kill and prevent mites and lice will save you the trouble of dealing with infestation at a later date.
3; If you haven't already, Obtain a Standard of Perfection. This book is the poultry showman's creed! It's HIGHLY helpful!

~Showmanship~
What is showmanship?
Showmanship is probably one of the most intimidating thing known to man! :lol: Competators dress up a bit, grab their trusty feathered companions, and appear before a judge. The judge, usually an APA poulty judge, proceeds to ask you questions, inquire about your bird, and generally test your knowledge and confidence as a showman. You are then placed according to your performance. The breed/type of poultry does not matter. You can still compete with your one-winged, one-eyed 15 year old mutt chicken for all the judge cares. As long as you have a basic concept as to the origin of your bird, the judge can work with that. Before you participate in showmanship, do heavy research on the bird you are using! It's highly possible he or she WILL ask breed/species related questions according to your specific bird! After researching your bird, general knowledge is what he's looking for. Mostly basic stuff for the younger crowd. What us your birds name, what breed is it, what variety is it, where does the breed come from, what class is it in, what is another breed in your class, etc. He may also ask questions that are Feed related, Incubation related, Basic diseases and parasites, just basic poultry stuff :) Googling "first year showmanship questions" and printing off a couple lists might help cover what he may ask. Best of luck! I'll probably be entering showmanship too, but I'll probably be stuck in the super challenging senior class :lol: Phooey!

Thank you so much! I have an email in to our tester to see if we have time to get this done. If so, Aiden will be entering! Now, would he enter the bird in the regular show as well?

Thank you so much! I have an email in to our tester to see if we have time to get this done. If so, Aiden will be entering! Now, would he enter the bird in the regular show as well?

No problem :) Go ahead and enter a bird or two in open show, I don't see any reason as to why you shouldn't! :lol: I don't think you HAVE to enter in open show to participate in showmanship, as long as your birds have health papers, but why not get the full expirience! Your son has all the Junior benefits! Discounts off entry, extra award possibilities for juniors, all sorts of fun stuff!

No problem :) Go ahead and enter a bird or two in open show, I don't see any reason as to why you shouldn't! :lol: I don't think you HAVE to enter in open show to participate in showmanship, as long as your birds have health papers, but why not get the full expirience! Your son has all the Junior benefits! Discounts off entry, extra award possibilities for juniors, all sorts of fun stuff!

Thank you so much for all the help and encouragement!

Here is the address for the York show April 13: 771 Stoverstown Road, York, PA 17408

Also, for those needing a good hand cream, the Body Shop's Hemp Hand Cream is the BEST ever!! I am a rural mail carrier and the beating my hands take from the weather, the mail and the boxes is compounded by outdoor farm chores. This cream has kept my fingers from splitting for about 5 years.
I have also found this to be the best hand cream ever, as well!

Gonna have some random chickies looking for homes. I set some of my own eggs and got some eggs from Wing...well I ate half of them and set the other half ( all the big ones) lol
So did you eat the big ones, or SET the big ones?
And I finally hatched something cute!!! :love
Wow! They sure are cute! Will you be at Delmarva Saturday Morning for the runners?

Gonna have some random chickies looking for homes. I set some of my own eggs and got some eggs from Wing...well I ate half of them and set the other half ( all the big ones) lol
Really !!!...didn't know they were future babies...
speaking of eggs ...I wonder if eli will notice if I slip the couple turkey eggs in with the ducks,,,,just curious what happens...I have 3 from this week so far..

And I finally hatched something cute!!!
love.gif

Where did you get them i have som in the bator now due to hatch next week i was told you can sex them by leg color

Back
Top Bottom