Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

When I left for work this morning my broody leghorn was still sitting on just a golf ball. When I got home from work, she was sitting on 3eggs, none of her own of course. Since I got 18 eggs today I threw 4 more eggs under her and left her where she is. If she gets off, oh well. I still say I didn't really want chicks this time of year but I want the experience of hatching under a broody. What does everyone think about a leghorn being a mom? Should I be prepared to snatch those chicks up as soon as they hatch?

Quote:
This route has tolls.

marker_greenA.png

Bellaire, OH
transparent.png

1.​
Head south on Belmont St toward 34th St
transparent.png

0.4 mi

2.​
Turn left onto W 26th St
transparent.png

0.1 mi

3.​
Turn left to merge onto OH-7 N
transparent.png

2.5 mi

4.​
Take the Interstate 470 exit on the left toward Washington Pennsylvania/Columbus
transparent.png

0.2 mi

5.​
Keep left at the fork to continue towardI-470 E
transparent.png

0.1 mi

6.​
Keep right at the fork, follow signs forInterstate 470 E/Wheelinh W Va/Washington Pa and merge onto I-470 E
Entering West Virginia
transparent.png

4.3 mi

7.​
Merge onto I-70 E
Entering Pennsylvania
transparent.png

27.0 mi

8.​
Continue onto I-70 E/I-79 S
transparent.png

3.1 mi

9.​
Continue onto I-70 E
transparent.png

36.4 mi

10.​
Take the I-70 E exit toward I-76 E/Pittsburgh/Harrisburg
Partial toll road
transparent.png

0.5 mi

11.​
Take exit 91-359 on the left to merge onto I-70 E/I-76 E toward Harrisburg
Continue to follow I-76 E
Toll road
transparent.png

152 mi

12.​
Take exit 226 to merge onto US-11 N/Harrisburg Pike toward I-81/Harrisburg
Partial toll road
transparent.png

2.2 mi

13.​
Take the ramp onto I-81 N
transparent.png

37.1 mi

14.​
Take exit 89 for Interstate 78 E towardAllentown
transparent.png

0.6 mi

15.​
Merge onto I-78 E
transparent.png

50.3 mi

16.​
Keep right to continue on US-22 E, follow signs for Interstate 476/Pennsylvania 309 N/PA Turnpike
transparent.png

1.4 mi

17.​
Take the Interstate 476 exit towardTurn Pike/Philadelphia/Scranton
Toll road
transparent.png

0.4 mi

18.​
Take exit 74-131 on the left to merge onto I-476 N toward Scranton
Toll road
transparent.png

18.5 mi

19.​
Take exit 74 toward Mahoning Valley
Toll road
transparent.png

0.6 mi

20.​
Keep right at the fork, follow signs forUS 209 N/Stroudsburg and merge ontoUS-209 N/Interchange Rd
Continue to follow US-209 N
Partial toll road
transparent.png

15.7 mi
marker_greenB.png

U.S. 209
Brodheadsville, PA 18322

Anyway you can make a pitstop near Hazleton?? I am interested in female runners.!!
I'm meeting the other girl in Brodheadsville at TSC if you want to meet us there. Not sure how far that is from you.

Quote: I'm picking up 10 goats & maybe some sheep/lambs tomorrow. Check to see if you are alomg the route if you want any!

When I left for work this morning my broody leghorn was still sitting on just a golf ball. When I got home from work, she was sitting on 3eggs, none of her own of course. Since I got 18 eggs today I threw 4 more eggs under her and left her where she is. If she gets off, oh well. I still say I didn't really want chicks this time of year but I want the experience of hatching under a broody. What does everyone think about a leghorn being a mom? Should I be prepared to snatch those chicks up as soon as they hatch?

Every chicken is different. Just watch & see what she does. Intervene if necessary.

Hello everyone.............I am looking for a reference or link.........that talks about how you know when eggs are safe to eat and when they are not safe.

I just gotmy first egg today.

I know eggs from medicated birds are not safe
and from sick birds
and there were recent posts about labeling eggs.

I want to be safe for myself and then eventually when I give away or sell eggs

I don't want to get sick or my friends and family to get sick because I don't know something........

I am psyched that the eggs are starting and just want to be more informed.............

I tried searching a bit on here but couldn't really get a good answer............thanks in advance!

I have some BIG NEWS----------------------today is the first day I found a REAL egg in my nest box! WAHOO------

Ramona laid an egg!

She has been roosting in the nest box recently.......................

I have put basil leaves and marigold petals in the nest box..............as an enticement................not to mention 2 plastic easter eggs..........

I checked the nest box drawer today -------------opened and closed it as usual and said -------------still no egg and then upon closing it a
pinkish brown egg rolled forward....................

WOW------wait a minute..........the plastic eggs I put in are green and yellow......................its a REAL EGG ...........WAHOO she did it!

I will post a picture soon!

hey Lisa:

A big congrats...the first is special....and there will be many more to come....start researching recipes....

I have a broody with a few eggs under her....I think if mama can get them up and running, they'll be laying in April. From my mixed flock...I can tell there are differences in personality..but I think each bird does its own deal...if leghorns never went broody...there'd be no leghorns....for what its worth here's a reference link with a column for broodyness....
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

I'm meeting the other girl in Brodheadsville at TSC if you want to meet us there. Not sure how far that is from you.

I'm picking up 10 goats & maybe some sheep/lambs tomorrow. Check to see if you are alomg the route if you want any!

Every chicken is different. Just watch & see what she does. Intervene if necessary.

Its not far but it's far enough to have to convince -others- to let me get morre birds LOLOL Other wise.. it would be.. idk how they got there! haha

Hello everyone.............I am looking for a reference or link.........that talks about how you know when eggs are safe to eat and when they are not safe.

I just gotmy first egg today.

I know eggs from medicated birds are not safe
and from sick birds
and there were recent posts about labeling eggs.

I want to be safe for myself and then eventually when I give away or sell eggs

I don't want to get sick or my friends and family to get sick because I don't know something........

I am psyched that the eggs are starting and just want to be more informed.............

I tried searching a bit on here but couldn't really get a good answer............thanks in advance!

Lisa:

My understanding is that no problem with standard medicated feed...if you are worming, or giving antibiotics they will have instructions on when the eggs are ok to eat....my two cents....

Got off the phone with DH. He thinks I should have let the BR brood a dozen eggs, and that I should keep all the chickens I currently have. Even reminding him that I will turn part of the garage into a coop is not enough to scare him. Maybe he knows I would protect the Harley from chicken poo, and that is all he cares about?
Husbands!
barnie.gif
"Husbands"....geez, I always thought "DH" meant "Designated Hitter" ......AKA old baseball player who can't run fast but can hit the ball......

Lisa:

My understanding is that no problem with standard medicated feed...if you are worming, or giving antibiotics they will have instructions on when the eggs are ok to eat....my two cents....

yes--------

salmonella is from raw eggs and not washing ones hands

anything else I should be concerned about........

I have not given my girls any medicine..........just grower feed and scratch and lots of fruits and veggies as treats..........and green pastures to forage............

how long is an egg safe outdoors?

I am 99% sure this one is safe................but I am just trying to inform myself......

Back
Top Bottom