Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey Lisa:

Two in a row!!!,,,,I read this in yachting....folks would take eggs on board...coat them in vasiline and turn them once a day and the eggs would be good for 90 days....without refrigeration in the tropics.....any netting is more than enough....no rapture is going to challenge...lastly talked to Silkie....her trip turned into a goat rodeo....chasing critters...too many critters to few humans....

thanks Stake..............I heard some things similar to what you are saying about how eggs last a long long time...............more than we ever imagined!

Regarding the netting............I have thin , I think its deer netting just drapped over the top of the run. I have not secured anything down because the run is not that tall and I want to take the stuff off when I rake out the run..............it has to be easy to remove.

the netting is a bit of a hassle-----because it catches on everything like edges of hardwire cloth............but it is inexpensive and lightweight.................I am worried that the spaces where is doesn't always cover the run fully................might still allow access or

a hungry hawk could rip thru it if they wanted to................

do you really think the netting is okay?

I also have tent poles ...........taller on one side than the other that I secure a rain tarp on using the grommet openings. Of course sinces its like a lean to .........there is a big space between the tarp and the netting.................not sure if this makes sense

so do you think with the netting and then the tarp------------------its safe enough?

Hey Lisa:

Two in a row!!!,,,,I read this in yachting....folks would take eggs on board...coat them in vasiline and turn them once a day and the eggs would be good for 90 days....without refrigeration in the tropics.....any netting is more than enough....no rapture is going to challenge...lastly talked to Silkie....her trip turned into a goat rodeo....chasing critters...too many critters to few humans....

:( If I was home today I would have helped. I was down in Lancaster getting ssome looking turkeys. I hope she was able to get her goats round up and has a safe trip home.

Well got to meet chad today & his family, great bunch of people!! :D

Poor silkie, I hope she got it all sorted out, I was going to send hubby out to help but it was just too far & we had chad coming over.

I had a sick hen today. I tried to separate her from the rest of the flock after I realized she was sick but she had already spent some time around them. Let me say right now, I ended up putting her down tonight. I know a lot of people take them to the vet and nurse them and so forth but my gut told me she was not going to pull through this. She was stretching her neck out and gaping. Eyes closing and making her unstable on her feet. She smelled pretty bad too. I don't know what was wrong with her but it wasn't good. I have an apple tree and they all love eating the apples off the ground when they fall so maybe she ate too many seeds. There is some kind of berry tree not far from there coops as well. I don't know what kind of berries they are but they may be poisonous and she ate one of those. Or maybe she had some other disease or illness...I don't know. I am going to watch the flock extremely closely for a few days. Cross your fingers for me that more birds don't get sick.

I had a sick hen today. I tried to separate her from the rest of the flock after I realized she was sick but she had already spent some time around them. Let me say right now, I ended up putting her down tonight. I know a lot of people take them to the vet and nurse them and so forth but my gut told me she was not going to pull through this. She was stretching her neck out and gaping. Eyes closing and making her unstable on her feet. She smelled pretty bad too. I don't know what was wrong with her but it wasn't good. I have an apple tree and they all love eating the apples off the ground when they fall so maybe she ate too many seeds. There is some kind of berry tree not far from there coops as well. I don't know what kind of berries they are but they may be poisonous and she ate one of those. Or maybe she had some other disease or illness...I don't know. I am going to watch the flock extremely closely for a few days. Cross your fingers for me that more birds don't get sick.
Sounds like Gape worm IMO. Treatable, but I get why you let her go.

Sounds like Gape worm IMO. Treatable, but I get why you let her go.

Yeah, I guess it could have been. I just didn't want to take the chance of losing all 32 birds. It wasn't easy doing it but I felt I needed to, right or wrong. If another bird turns up with the same symptoms I will treat for gape worm so I don't end up culling all of them. I looked in her throat, which she made very easy to do, and I didn't see anything. If it were gape worm, should I have been able to see something?

Quote: Like I said. Don't feel bad for letting her go. I really do get it.
I just forgot the woman's name, and I don't know how to quote from other threads. A moderator said you can tell it is Gape worm by taking a Q-tip and GENTLY swirling it in the throat, and down about an inch or so, then swirling it on the way back up. They should be on the swab, and she thinks they are red.
As far as seeing something, I have not heard of anyone saying they could see the worms. Treatment is a matter of finding the right kind of wormer. I really can't remember what kind to use. Someone should be able to tell you in the morning (I assume most people are out for the evening or in bed).
I hope your others are okay. Do what is best for YOU! If that means starting your flock over, that is what you should do.
hugs.gif
Sleep well tonight, and don't worry about it. The answers will come tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom