Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Must confess..

Those chicks that hubby is suppose to bring home on Friday,,,I really do not want them....I am not in the mood to mess with a pen of broilers at this time of the year...

They had about 14 hatched as of last night,,,,,need to be out of the building Friday by 8 pm.....I am hoping they find someone else to take them...they are free...

HINT........HINT.......HINT

Smart woman. Meat chickens spend all their time eating to keep warm this time of year and are even more annoying than normal.

wing-If no one claims these you can send them to me & I will send you a batch of EE babies later for them.

Already planning for the spring. Looking for dark brown egg layers, green and blue egg layers, silkies and serama's. Anyone want to help a girl out? :D Oh, and I have 2 local elementary schools looking for eggs in the spring. I should have my leghorn, silkie and hopefully my white rocks laying by then. I told them I would look for some interesting breeds for them to hatch. Anyone near Pittsburgh willing to donate a few fertile eggs? This won't be until April or beginning of May.

Will my leghorn rooster EVER take an interest in my other hens? He is always with the leghorn hen he was raised with. The other ladies aren't laying yet so I wasn't sure if that made a difference.

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather. I love these cooler stink bug free days!

I have two young golden bantam sebrights that need to be rehomed due to the fact my bigger birds are bullying them. I am asking $5 for each or will trade for a laying hen. And if at all possible the two go together. I got them together and they never leave eachothers side.

As you all surely know-----its cool and rainy today................yuck.

my chickens are preferring to stay in their dry coop!

Its not that big of an indoor space...................this is making me wonder about winter!    hope they find things to do to occupy themselves that are not problematic!

I have a variety of food options with different locations so they wont fight over sharing one bowl.

worries of the  chicken caregiver-----continue..................part of spoiling or nurturing our gals!

I find that my chickens just want to be dry, cold doesn't seem to bother them. They go out everyday, and if it's raining, they just hang out under the roof in the coop.

I find that my chickens just want to be dry, cold doesn't seem to bother them. They go out everyday, and if it's raining, they just hang out under the roof in the coop.

Well:

After seeing your post, I went out to check on the crew....the main roo and the Dorks had retreated back to the coop...shortly joined by the rest of the big girls....the Marans were hunkered down under the coop...and the baby roo ran out to greet me...I put him back in the grow out pen....(its sheltered)....all of mine are under a year old...I hope they learn to stay dry....BTW the tips of my main roo's crop have gone from bright red to black...thought this was a summer thing not a fall thing....

I am having trouble getting quotes to work right on my phone but here is a pic JJ took last night after changing bedding in the coop. It shows my feed bag insulation. They need hosed down but we haven't gotten that far on the cleaning yet.

How many layers of bags do you use? I am probably going to end up doing half your idea and half the comforter thing, because I do not have enough of either to do the whole coop lol!

Quote:
Hmm, I am looking into all the different types of insulation mentioned here. I always thought insulation had to be something fluffy. Weird.

Well:

After seeing your post, I went out to check on the crew....the main roo and the Dorks had retreated back to the coop...shortly joined by the rest of the big girls....the Marans were hunkered down under the coop...and the baby roo ran out to greet me...I put him back in the grow out pen....(its sheltered)....all of mine are under a year old...I hope they learn to stay dry....BTW the tips of my main roo's crop have gone from bright red to black...thought this was a summer thing not a fall thing....

Mine never go inside, they just stay under the coop as well. My old barred rocks just sat under the rain, it did not bother them one bit!

okay so I want to ask some non-chicken questions...................hope you are ok with this.........

has anyone ever grown a hazelnut bush?

or how about some dwarf fruit trees or fruit trees in containers?

I am trying to add the food bearing potential of my small yard.

I already do basic veggies of tomatoes---many types, peppers --many types, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries.

next year I will add some raised bed for square foot garden and
potato bin , and a lettuce, spinach, swiss chard area.

I am wondering about fruits and nuts................in small size and spaces.............

thanks !

also-----I think its unlikely that I could eat the chickens I have in my backyard-------------I know them too well............they are my pets!

I do enjoy other chicken meat though...........

I also have a variety of herbs ---especially parsley and basil.............

I did see the "dosage chart" very nice!!  will be doing a bit more research for well, all the need meds. for these girls....see what is the best and at the best prices..I have time now....will use what I have now, then look into better/easier for next time...
Thank you Ray:D ...the buckets..yeah, will definitly have to check them out!
:eek: :smack ...oh behave...
I think SIlkie had a good pic of what hers looks like ..with the bags to cover, for insulation.:)  

It was a bus accident not too far from where I live, from what I heard the other day - 1 woman was dead & the bus driver was critical.

Back
Top Bottom