Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote:
lau.gif

Chicken Whisperer reports this:  http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-05-14/index.html
[/
Yikes! Our local store got chicks from there, I called and they don't think their chicks are affected- we bought 3 a month ago, and no one has called them with sickness from chicks...however they are calling the hatchery today to find out if the chicks they sold were affected.... None of us have been sick either...I am a bit of a germaphobe and keep things really clean with the chicks....yeah, the kids groan every time I. Utter the words...Go wash your hands!

Last edited:
Very excited to announce my first egg! I knew if I posted about it taking too long it would surely bring on an egg :)

However, she laid it in the roost area and not the box. I have 2 rsl and a small house. I'm not sure how to manage it any better considering the size - roost is just slightly higher then egg box. But she nestled out a spot in the bedding and the poop on the other side of the roost so, I guess it's okay for now?

Quote: I am still new to turkeys, but I am going by what the Turkey Talk people say, and what I am getting from pretty much everyone. Lower protein is not recommended for turkeys. 30-32% is "best" if you can find it. When someone asked again about chick feed, it was said that while BBW/B may be okay on it for two weeks or so, it isn't enough for turkeys.
I stopped fermenting the feed. I am thinking about doing it again after tomorrow (I will be selling another dozen or so chickens).

Quote: All of my wants? That is a mighty big promise.

Very excited to announce my first egg! I knew if I posted about it taking too long it would surely bring on an egg
smile.png

However, she laid it in the roost area and not the box. I have 2 rsl and a small house. I'm not sure how to manage it any better considering the size - roost is just slightly higher then egg box. But she nestled out a spot in the bedding and the poop on the other side of the roost so, I guess it's okay for now?

celebrate.gif
Yes, they will lay in odd places sometimes.

Very excited to announce my first egg! I knew if I posted about it taking too long it would surely bring on an egg
smile.png

you can add fake eggs, or even let an real egg in the nest box FOR A DAY if its not hot and show it to her and hope she understands the process. But I have a feeling your NOT giving up that first egg, ha ha ha

Some use golf balls, easter eggs filled with sand and so forth I bought ceramics off ebay, I had egg eaters and I wish I would have had them from the start to prevent eating eggs along with knowing where to lay!

Congrats!

Between wingstone and I we can probably fill all your wants! And the scary part is, I'm just as close as she is, I'm on the Milton Grove side of Mount Joy.

I have ducks in the incubator, and baby rabbits when you feel the need, lol.

She said i came right past you! I caught Ciderpress to Meadow view to try to avoid downtown Manheim. If you're familiar with the area, i live next to the Renaissance Faire (we face the joust field). Anyways, we had Champagne D'Argents for awhile, we really liked them but they are hard to come by it seems. Plus i was kinda screwed over with the doe we bought from some high school student selling rabbits out of her garage. I should of known better
barnie.gif
. Alot of people seem to do Californians or New Zealand around here. When we first started "homesteading" we tried to stick to more of a heritage breeds- Dominiques were our first chickens, soon followed by Champagne D'Argents. But i'm thinking that is going out the window soon. I liked the coat also, maybe i'll get around to making a nice pair of winter mittens. With two small shadows following me around, I can dream can't i?! lol.

On another note, can you free range ducks? Do they put themselves up at night like chickens? We have a nice creek out back that i think they would enjoy but i get the feeling i'll be duck wrangling every night. I haven't read up much on them, but seeing wingstones (she wouldn't give me a price!) i would like a few.

Now I'm freaked out about salmonella :( We usually keep our brooder in the kitchen. Opposite side of where we prep food but still. I will be moving it in the basement from now on. My husband is in and out of the house 100 times a day and doesn't take his boots off. We have hard wood floors and I clean them often during the week but my 2 year old is all over the floor all day long. I'm afraid of what germs he is tracking inside the house with his nasty boots.I also keep my egg basket and a gallon milk jug that I take back and forth to the coop under the sink. Please someone tell me I'm over reacting!!

In other news one of our polish chicks died yesterday. They were fine when I left for my son's baseball game and dead by the time we got home. We only got 2 and of course it was the one we thought was going to be a hen. Grrrr! I promised my daughter we would get some polish and serema eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom