Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Dealing with a 'mishap' here has made everyone grumpy. Someone left the freezer door open in the garage, everything melted. Including the almost 20 meat birds we just had processed, 5 quarts of tomato sauce, ALL the green beans we grew, harvested, processed and froze (up till midnight doing the green beans) along with lots of other stuff. Our homegrown stuff is what hurts the most. The stove top, grill and crock pot have been going non stop and I am ready for a break. My poor son is so aggravated about the meat birds he raised, he doesn't know what to do with himself.

I'm ready for a break. :)

Oh, boy. How long was the door open? Was the meat just thawed or warm, too? Any chance you could cook it up, make soup or give it away to be cooked (even made into dog food) rather than throwing it away?
When we've had power failures if things are thawing quickly, we try to cook as much as we can when the power comes back on (assuming it hasn't been off too long.)
I feel for you.

Dealing with a 'mishap' here has made everyone grumpy. Someone left the freezer door open in the garage, everything melted. Including the almost 20 meat birds we just had processed, 5 quarts of tomato sauce, ALL the green beans we grew, harvested, processed and froze (up till midnight doing the green beans) along with lots of other stuff. Our homegrown stuff is what hurts the most. The stove top, grill and crock pot have been going non stop and I am ready for a break. My poor son is so aggravated about the meat birds he raised, he doesn't know what to do with himself.

I'm ready for a break.
smile.png
oh my. so sorry, thats alot of food to lose, not to mention the work, i know how it is, lost alot of chickens and turkeys once when our freezer compressor just quit. wish i could help out

I'm ready for a break.
smile.png

So sorry to hear, alot of work goes into processing stuff from the garden...tomato sauce can be kept refrigerated for a while as the acid inhibits bad stuff....and I hope you can save the rest by cooking it up...

It would be a lot of work but you can save that chicken.. cut it up and can it ( pressure canner). My daughter does whole bone in pieces and some cut into chunks for casseroles ..... this is what happens to my old roosters.

perhaps I am mistaken, but some chicks were born with curled toes and could not walk....folks cut up bandaids straightened the toes and used the bandaids to hold the toes straight....(thought that was bublefoot..).....

no,thats from being in the shell to long, usually straightens itself out if it not to bad, bumblefoot is a sore in the middle of the foot(underside) it has a core in it that you have to cut out to get it to heal, not nice from what i understand but do able 

My hubby & I have done our own bumblefoot surgery 3 times, it's very doable, trust me, if I can do it, anyone can, I'm very squeamish! Our local vet charges $300. The Chicken Chick has great info on her site.

hi, how ya doin? i like rural king too, they will have popcorn all the time :pop i just got a dozen chicks sunday off them

:frow , we were there just as the man was setting up the new order of chicks, was all i could do to hold my self back back and not bring home all the meat chicks, just too late in the season for us, if we want to continue to be snowbirds lol, then yesterday my niece called, my brother is in the hospital, on a respirator, not doing well, might have to go down and i really don't want to, bad time, not only for losing him but with the garden coming on, need to be here to can and freeze plus i still need to sell some of the chickens and thin the flock

So sorry about your brother, you're in our thoughts...

[/quote

Oh no, that stinks! I'm so sorry...

I'm looking for some info on raising meat birds. Looking at getting 25 freedom rangers. Is it to late in the year to start to raise them? I want them to "free range" in a 50'x50' fenced in area. What kind of house do they need? I don't have a predator problem, so not worried about locking them up. Do they need roosting bars? I would like to have a self sustaining flock if possible. Please any advice would be great. Seeing as how my husband wants to order them on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom