Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Wow this thread is busy. That's fantastic!!!

Anyone know of breeders with Dorkings or Dominiques in SCPA? I would like to see the chickens before offering to purchase chicks online or site unseen. I have a Delaware breeder close to me just down in Emittsburg Maryland.

I always keep one or two hundred pounds of various feed in the back of the car over the winter. I figure scratch is as good as and, and I need it anyway. I rotate my stock every few weeks.

yeah:

I got down to a few days of feed and was lazy...should've run to TSC in parkersburg but I would've bought a few bags and then would need to schlep them in....being lazy costs....

BTW a chicken article my mother gave me...http://scottoline.com/Column/

Anyone know of breeders with Dorkings or Dominiques in SCPA? I would like to see the chickens before offering to purchase chicks online or site unseen. I have a Delaware breeder close to me just down in Emittsburg Maryland.

I think Wingstone does Dominques and I am still searching for Dorks....SG can be had from hatcheries, red/colored/whites are harder to come by...i may have a lead on some red hatching eggs...if it pans out, I'll let you know....

Any one want this 2 year old backyard quality silver duckwing/wheaten Cubalaya cock. He is very mild mannered and has never offered to be mean in any way. He is not a cuddlebug as he has not been handled a lot. He weighs 6 1/2 pounds. He is not show quality.

Hi everyone.  Excited to share that we got our first chicks over the weekend.  We got a cochin and a welsummer from Pickering Valley and a black sex-link from dheltzel, and all appear to be doing great.  The welsummer is about a week old now and the other two are a couple of days younger.  I have read that it's important that we handle them frequently when they're young so they become socialized - but whenever we reach in the brooder they scramble away pretty quickly.  I assume this is normal for really young chicks - just wondering how long it usually takes for them to get more comfortable with people.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Congrats on your new babies! They will be very skittish for a while and I think that breed makes a difference too. I have a brooder full of almost 5 week old chicks in the garage. They would ALL run from me at first but I kept talking to them and handling them. My 2 rhodebars, welsummer and one of the Ameraucanas will run to me now add fay as they can. The Rhodebars will even cuddle under my neck. I also have Marans out there who are all still pretty skittish but a couple are coming around. Good luck!

Im looking for some peeps. Female Rhode Islands. Id like 20. Id love a few silkies too. Ive expanded my coop so my girls would love some more gossip girls to chill out with.

I have a couple of silkie/marans crosses if you're interested. Just hatched on sunday/ Monday. One is all black, the other should feather in wheaten :) The picture is Fria. I hatched her out in November. She's a big sweet heart!

Anybody have any EE chicks?

I have 4 in the brooder right now that just hatched Monday. Technically, they're olive eggers but I think they're just going to lay green eggs lol. I'll also have more hatching this upcoming weekend.

Congrats on your new babies! They will be very skittish for a while and I think that breed makes a difference too. I have a brooder full of almost 5 week old chicks in the garage. They would ALL run from me at first but I kept talking to them and handling them. My 2 rhodebars, welsummer and one of the Ameraucanas will run to me now add fay as they can. The Rhodebars will even cuddle under my neck. I also have Marans out there who are all still pretty skittish but a couple are coming around. Good luck!
I have a couple of silkie/marans crosses if you're interested. Just hatched on sunday/ Monday. One is all black, the other should feather in wheaten
smile.png
The picture is Fria. I hatched her out in November. She's a big sweet heart!

I have 4 in the brooder right now that just hatched Monday. Technically, they're olive eggers but I think they're just going to lay green eggs lol. I'll also have more hatching this upcoming weekend.

Ahh, another Rhodebar convert! Wait until you see how well she lays.

Your Silkie/Marans crosses should be excellent as broody hens - both of those breeds are well known for that.

Ahh, another Rhodebar convert!  Wait until you see how well she lays.

Your Silkie/Marans crosses should be excellent as broody hens - both of those breeds are well known for that.

love my rhodebars lol!

I'm hoping my silkie crosses take after the silkie now than the marans when it comes to being a good mother. My Marans hen (who is threatening to go broody again) was not a good mother but my silkies, yeah.... lol

That would be Wil at Whitmore Farm, right? That is where my original stock for my Welsummers, Marans, and some of my Ameracaunas came from. If you want chicks this spring, better contact him soon, he gets sold out pretty quickly. His operation was a big part of what inspired me to start hatching in quantity to sell, the demand is huge.

Back
Top Bottom