Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I guess in the human world we have 'sugar daddies'..... so do they call the 'scratch daddies' in the chicken world? DH found this 4 week old taking advantage of her big friend Grayson... she wasn't going to stay on the kid's shelf like her sibs (seen below her)
that is to stinking cute!!!
Congrats! Hope you get more. ;) This is so true. My broody just hatched out her second clutch, and her sister is over a week into her fertile eggs. If noly I could keep them all! :pop The hardest part is waiting for eggs to hatch.
it is hard. She has more under her and I checked and no more has even piped. I hope she will have at least one more hatch out.

For some of you, family is everything, for us family is one big nightmare..
we are seriously considering getting out of the present situation and just moving away. so i may be running some places by you, if anyone is in these area's can you tell me a little about the area.
we are not looking for actual farmland, but we do need to be able to keep animals..

anyone know anything about this area..this place looks like a dream come true for us, but we know pictures are decieving.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/12_Ac_Huntingdon_Co_Cabin_year_round_living-1616375/

I just built two chicken tractors myself, ...tied of cleaning the big coops this way we can move them around the yard...
thumbsup.gif
What did you do with your coops?

we are seriously considering getting out of the present situation and just moving away. so i may be running some places by you, if anyone is in these area's can you tell me a little about the area.
we are not looking for actual farmland, but we do need to be able to keep animals..

anyone know anything about this area..this place looks like a dream come true for us, but we know pictures are decieving.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/12_Ac_Huntingdon_Co_Cabin_year_round_living-1616375/

Don't know anything about that area, but I hope you find what you need. Sorry for your poor family situation. :hugs On a side note, are you still raising the meaties? :oops:

Hello, my name is Jess and I have a hatching problem. My incubators have been on for 6 months straight now with no longer than a few days with nothing in them lol.

Seriously though, I swore I was going to shut down the incubators after the poults hatched but then, I threw a couple more in the try the tylan ice bath thing (speaking of which, no more illness is in my flock!) And they are actually developing nicely. Then a lady that I got eggs off of about 4 months ago from eBay offered to send me more to try again since my hatch was horrible so of course, more eggs just went in today lol.

Wing, that's only about 2 hours from us on the other side of Raystown (sp?) Lake. I've been up to the lake and to Huntington a few times. Nice area. If you like hiking and fishing, there's a lot of that nearby.

Wing, that's only about 2 hours from us on the other side of Raystown (sp?) Lake. I've been up to the lake and to Huntington a few times. Nice area. If you like hiking and fishing, there's a lot of that nearby.

Hi Wingstone!

I grew up in Huntingdon county (went swimming in the Three Springs pool many times - not sure if it's still there now). Southern Huntingdon County - where you're looking - is actually a little more rural than the northern part that I called my stomping grounds for 18 years. It's a beautiful area (I am admittedly biased), but depending on where you're coming from may seem to be lacking in "services" - no mall within an hour or so, not sure about the nearest Walmart, but farm and feed stores? That's a whole different question! I have fond memories of the feed mill as a kid, and because of the large number of hobby farmers (and "real" farmers"), finding like-minded people shouldn't be an issue. The Huntingdon Co. fair used to have the largest livestock exhibition of any county fair in the state. There is a local paper called the Valley Log that, if you can find it online, would give you an idea of the sense of small town rural community that you could expect to find.

I'm a little envious
wink.png
, home is always awesome...although I love where we live now (west Union county), too!

I'll gladly answer anything I can...my parents still live there, so I hear a lot!

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_doc...rd shows across Ohio to Prevent Avian Flu.pdf

Ohio just canceled everything poultry related for the rest of the year. What the heck am I gonna do with a couple hundred spare chicks

auction??

The auctions are banned from selling poultry too.

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/public_doc...rd shows across Ohio to Prevent Avian Flu.pdf

Ohio just canceled everything poultry related for the rest of the year. What the heck am I gonna do with a couple hundred spare chicks & poults???

What?!? I wanted to go to the Rogers poultry auction this summer! :( I didn't plan to buy anything anyway because of AI, but I just wanted to go to experience it.

Yup, Roger's can't do poultry now, but they can do everything else still.

chippysMom, Silkie is in Ohio. PA has shut down fairs, anything that is Supported by the state. Privately funded shows, swaps and auctions are open at their own discretion....for now. I got an e-mail last night that the PA fairs are now also including eggs and terminal (broiler) projects with the ban. Some of the 4-H project broilers were going to be shown and judged off fair grounds, the new email prohibits any 'congregating' of live birds, even if they're to be processed that evening- which was our plan....oh well.

Silkie....such a bummer, can you process your extras?

Already have an entire pen of meat roos & bbw turkeys. Need another freezer.

Ohio just canceled everything poultry related for the rest of the year. What the heck am I gonna do with a couple hundred spare chicks

This eliminates organized events, but I don't see anything regulating or restricting private sales.... you will just have to advertise and/or sell locally.

Craigslist & a sign in the yard is the plan.

what breed of poults do you have? I might be able to take a couple off your hands.

Some are blue slate, others are from the mixed pen & can be just about any color. Of the 12 hatched so far no 2 were the same.

What?!? I wanted to go to the Rogers poultry auction this summer! :( I didn't plan to buy anything anyway because of AI, but I just wanted to go to experience it.

silkie... alot of folks have lost there flocks to preditors , last week I sold 22 of my hens for 10.00 each on craigslist

Got an ad up. Gonna put up a few more. Guess I'll stick with hatching turkeys & quail with just a few chick tutors for a while. Have to sell off what's already hatched, plus the 2 batches of 100 I just set before I have room for any more in the brooders. Guess I better get another grow out pen built too.

Back
Top Bottom