Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Parish, keeping two roosters is recommended in case something happens to one. With nine girls, it shouldn't be a problem.
As for breeding, get rid of any new cockerels unless one looks good. Band the new one if necessary, then sell or kill the old one.

hello from pocono pa
smile.png

Welcome from the Poconos! What do you have and/or looking for?

I am looking for a male Tom turkey. I will consider all breeds or crosses, I prefer blue slate, royal palm, or mottled (blk/white). I know its late in the season, but I have not gotten a male yet. I really don't want poults either. Any help, or lead would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I am looking for a male Tom turkey.  I will consider all breeds or crosses, I prefer blue slate, royal palm, or mottled (blk/white).  I know its late in the season, but I have not gotten a male yet.  I really don't want poults either.  Any help, or lead would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

I'd place an ad on Pennswoods.net or craigslist looking for one and see if you get any his. Some people may have gotten poults earlier in the spring and now be finding that they have an extra Tom. Not sure how you're willing to go.

How do you all manage small flocks? Currently I have the 9 pulleys and 2 cockerel. So I'm looking for a home for at least one of the cockerel. He is a 2 month old gold laced Cochin. They are both GL Cochin actually handled daily. Anyway enough of me trying to find a home for them and back to my main question. I'm looking to make this sustainable and I know I want to avoid inbreeding. So with a small flock is it easiest to find other people niearby and swap rooster or is it easier to buy a new cockerel every few generations? I've read a bit about it I guess I'm wondering if there are people in western pa around beaver county that are interested in the future of swapping?

Inbreeding is not nearly as big a problem as people tend to think. It can become a problem with certain strains, but after many generations. If you are not trying to maintain a particular breed, just find someone selling chicks and buy or swap a few. If you are trying to maintain good quality gold laced cochins, study the genetics or get advice from experience cochin breeders about what colors to cross them with. For ex. you might be able to cross in a silver laced and get golds back in a subsequent generation.

Crappy day. Woke up and found out that I cannot eat flax seeds at all. (Flaxative, anyone? :rolleyes: ). Another one of my chicks got snatched, and my dog had been out a fair amount today. Then my one girl poops on the porch and I see that it's moving... Time to worm! :sick. I think I need a hug. On a positive note, my bantam Cochin has gone broody, @wingstone I think she is just about a year old.

Back
Top Bottom