Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Someone drove into the farm this evening, took a rooster out of a carrier and released it in the yard. I didn't witness it, but my nieces did. I can't believe how many people feel it is ok to abandon an animal just because they are done with it.

Because of the breed and age, I believe it was someone that bought it from me as a chick. So why not just ask me to take it back instead of becoming a criminal (I'm pretty sure animal abandonment is against the law).

I was able to catch the poor thing and it will be humanely killed tomorrow for food. I just can't believe how rude and inconsiderate some people are.

Done with my rant now . . .

That's all sorts of sad and awful. I feel bad, almost like he needs a few days to live the remainder of his life on the farm before he's eaten, just because he deserves it, poor guy. It's not my choice though, and chicken tastes great, so :D

Last edited:
That's all sorts of sad and awful. I feel bad, almost like he needs a few days to live the remainder of his life on the farm before he's eaten, just because he deserves it, poor guy. It's not my choice though, and chicken tastes great, so
big_smile.png
I had to get him off the farm quickly because I didn't know his history, he could very well be carrying a disease, despite looking healthy. I setup a quarantine area about 1/4 mile away from the farm. If the person had stopped and asked, I would have had him/her drive over there and put him into the quarantine area (where he is now).

At least this way it will be a quick, painless death, not like what he might have suffered at the hands of a fox. New roos are not easily accepted into the ranks at the farm, they are chased to the outskirts of the inhabited areas and with no flock to keep watch, they are easily picked off by the predators. When I release young roos, I go through an acclimation process, caging them in safe areas so they can see the other chickens roosting there and get to know which roos to avoid by watching the social life of the free ranging birds before actually joining them. Even then, many don't survive.

Chicks raised free range from birth get a fast education. I was amazed last night to see 2 small, but fully feathered chicks roosting about 5 ft up. They don't grow in size very fast when free ranging in the barn, but they feather out quickly, more like a quail or pheasant. They are impossible to catch when it is light outside. It's like trying to chase down a bobwhite quail.

So, for over a week now, I've had a dog cage in the main coop with the youngest chicks in it (roughly 5 weeks old). Since it's been warm enough and they don't need the heat lamp, I figured it would be great exposure to the rest of the flock and their future home. The flock doesn't seem to really care about them being there at all but they have been digging the shavings back from around the sides of the cage to get at the feed that the babies drop. Well today, I walked over top peek at them for a minute and one of them is out, running around the coop floor. I was really surprised and climbed in to catch her but she ran right around the back side of the cage and in through the exposed bottom edge, little turd lol. I did pile shavings back up there again but by the time I tucked everyone in for the night, they were all pulled away again. I'm just glad that little stinker knows how to get back in and I'm glad my flock is tolerant of younger birds. At least I hope...

They're probably fine. My chicks were broody raised (this broody was lower in the pecking order too) and the chicks have been our with all of the big girls since day one. They do free range in our back yard though. Now, the chicks are are about 5-6 weeks old, bad the snuggle underneath other Brodie's at night because their Mama has left them high and dry, lol!

Someone drove into the farm this evening, took a rooster out of a carrier and released it in the yard. I didn't witness it, but my nieces did. I can't believe how many people feel it is ok to abandon an animal just because they are done with it.

Because of the breed and age, I believe it was someone that bought it from me as a chick. So why not just ask me to take it back instead of becoming a criminal (I'm pretty sure animal abandonment is against the law).

I was able to catch the poor thing and it will be humanely killed tomorrow for food. I just can't believe how rude and inconsiderate some people are.

That's terrible, do you have any idea who it was? (Wasn't me! :p). That really bugs me when people have no respect for animals (or others property.)

they do that here, cept with cats, alot of them then get killed on the road, altho i don't like cats, i do feel sorry for them and don't like to see that

people are unbelievable :(

That's all sorts of sad and awful. I feel bad, almost like he needs a few days to live the remainder of his life on the farm before he's eaten, just because he deserves it, poor guy. It's not my choice though, and chicken tastes great, so :D

I had to get him off the farm quickly because I didn't know his history, he could very well be carrying a disease, despite looking healthy. I setup a quarantine area about 1/4 mile away from the farm. If the person had stopped and asked, I would have had him/her drive over there and put him into the quarantine area (where he is now).

At least this way it will be a quick, painless death, not like what he might have suffered at the hands of a fox. New roos are not easily accepted into the ranks at the farm, they are chased to the outskirts of the inhabited areas and with no flock to keep watch, they are easily picked off by the predators. When I release young roos, I go through an acclimation process, caging them in safe areas so they can see the other chickens roosting there and get to know which roos to avoid by watching the social life of the free ranging birds before actually joining them. Even then, many don't survive.

Chicks raised free range from birth get a fast education. I was amazed last night to see 2 small, but fully feathered chicks roosting about 5 ft up. They don't grow in size very fast when free ranging in the barn, but they feather out quickly, more like a quail or pheasant. They are impossible to catch when it is light outside. It's like trying to chase down a bobwhite quail.

Oh I totally understand where you're coming from. He could be super aggressive, diseased, etc. The best thing is to make a good meal out of him. I just felt kinda bad that someone hated him that bad to where they literally dumped him out of a crate then sped off. No animal should have to go through the confusion/sadness of being dumped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom