Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

We just finished butchering the rest of our extra roos which means tomorrow, we're putting up the turkey coop :) They're overdue to be outside now but we could only do one job at a time. It's going to be a few weeks until we get the run built but they'll have the coop until then and will hopefully learn it's home and return there to roost when they start free ranging.

Someone drove into the farm this evening, took a rooster out of a carrier and released it in the yard. I didn't witness it, but my nieces did. I can't believe how many people feel it is ok to abandon an animal just because they are done with it.

Because of the breed and age, I believe it was someone that bought it from me as a chick. So why not just ask me to take it back instead of becoming a criminal (I'm pretty sure animal abandonment is against the law).

I was able to catch the poor thing and it will be humanely killed tomorrow for food. I just can't believe how rude and inconsiderate some people are.

Done with my rant now . . .

We get a lot of cats dumped, and an occasional dog, but the day someone dumped a lop eared rabbit takes the cake. Seriously, ten o'clock at night and finding a rabbit just sitting there...poor thing. We had it for about a year before it died (natural causes).

Looking for the best price on fencing materials. Any suggestions?

You know it's a horrible shame that here I am attempting to find a roo and someone had the nerve to dump a roo and run instead of doing the right thing. Well now that I've joined the bandwagon with being annoyed with the fact that someone would just dump a rooster, Does anyone in western pa area possibly have a Black Australorp rooster? Or a silver laced wyandotte, but would def prefer an australorp.

did u look on craigs list, I seen an austra roo there

OK, so we have the opportunity to get a roughly 6 month old pot belly pig for free. We would be butchering it for pork of course but does anyone know what age you do that and if it's worth it? We've never had pigs before but have talked about it.

OK, so we have the opportunity to get a roughly 6 month old pot belly pig for free. We would be butchering it for pork of course but does anyone know what age you do that and if it's worth it? We've never had pigs before but have talked about it.

Don't know much about the pot bellies, but when I was a child we raised both chester whites and Yorkshires. They were usually butchered at 6 to 7 months and their weight would usually be between 250 to 300. They were born in the spring and those not kept were butchered between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Because they were on pasture with a distance between food and water and many fruit trees, they always were very lean and dressed out to a high per cent meat.

Wrong group to ask about whether to get an animal, lol. But I can't help, I know nothing about them except my son wants them. Yeah, we'll probably end up with pigs...

So, happy and sad today. We were practically given two horses yesterday. A quarter horse and a Tennessee Walker. The girl was moving and really wanted my kids to have them. We are getting the horses, saddles, and all tack for practically nothing and she is getting the peace of mind that they will be loved and adored. That's the happy.

The sad is I think my cat is gone. He is one of the ones that we found dumped as a kitten. He has been gone a few days and I'm not convinced he is coming back. (He is neutered, so he shouldn't be chasing ladies.) He usually sticks pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom