Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Question.... So I picked up a barnyard mix bantum mom and 12 chicks. We've had them a few weeks they Are beyond adorable but as far as sexing them goes how safe would it be to assume the ones with combs are the males and the rest females? Pics of mom and baby's...

Tough to tell exactly what is going on there, but I do see a few cockerels. The cockerels have more prominent combs and wattles, hens will have them, but not as pronounced (normally). If the birds are a breed with a large comb, like leghorns, the females also have a large comb. You never know for sure until they crow or lay an egg. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks. Me too
2764.png
. I'll see her at a swap tomorrow and while I usually try to take the high road, I think I may just brag about them tomorrow :p

That is so great!!! Glad it worked out even better for you, sometimes things just have a strange way of working when you least expect them to.

Exactly :) I think I could emit light if it was dark in here right now
1f602.png

Remember how that girl sold those ducks that were supposed to be mine while I was on vacation?

Guess what?

wee.gif
wee.gif

I got 5 white hens (one is for a friend). Whites aren't that common, and are more expensive. I got them for 12 bucks (super cheap) and they're way better quality than any of hers
wee.gif
ya.gif

Chippy:

Thanks. Me too
2764.png
. I'll see her at a swap tomorrow and while I usually try to take the high road, I think I may just brag about them tomorrow
tongue.png

Chippy:

Nothing wrong with strutting your stuff....let her know how happy you are that things worked out the way they did....maybe ask her if she's in the market for some birds???

not sure if posting here is the right thing to do or to start new but i am in pa I will start here. if I need to move this please let me know. I am looking for someone to build me a plucker. was going to start in meat birds this spring but my mom passed away. so it got put on hold. I am a bit more organized now and getting things ready. I know I could buy one outright but thought id see if there was anyone in/near southeast pa who has done one and could use the money more than the companies. I can get supplies or builder.. doesn't matter to me. I have been doing the odd random chicken for raw feeding friends and for the dogs we just skin and save time but for the real meat birds I don't want to do that. I am all for recycled parts as well so am ok with whatever sounds good. please feel free to email me. again- if there is someplace else this should go I will move it- just wasn't sure.

sue zip 19567

not sure if posting here is the right thing to do or to start new but i am in pa I will start here. if I need to move this please let me know. I am looking for someone to build me a plucker. was going to start in meat birds this spring but my mom passed away. so it got put on hold. I am a bit more organized now and getting things ready. I know I could buy one outright but thought id see if there was anyone in/near southeast pa who has done one and could use the money more than the companies. I can get supplies or builder.. doesn't matter to me. I have been doing the odd random chicken for raw feeding friends and for the dogs we just skin and save time but for the real meat birds I don't want to do that. I am all for recycled parts as well so am ok with whatever sounds good. please feel free to email me. again- if there is someplace else this should go I will move it- just wasn't sure.

sue zip 19567

Hi! Welcome to the crazy chicken world! Someone will chime in eventually to tell you what you want to know. I know people make their own pluckers, so you should get the help you want.

th.gif
I have a new layer... And it's GREEN! I am so happy!!!
D.gif
I actually think all five are laying now. While I still have only gotten three eggs/day, yesterday and today an egg was tan, while before they were all brown. It's a mystery for now, but I am so happy to have a green egg layer! Even if it was an accident. THANK YOU, FISHERLADY AND RADIO MAN!!
highfive.gif

th.gif
I have a new layer... And it's GREEN! I am so happy!!!
D.gif
I actually think all five are laying now. While I still have only gotten three eggs/day, yesterday and today an egg was tan, while before they were all brown. It's a mystery for now, but I am so happy to have a green egg layer! Even if it was an accident. THANK YOU, FISHERLADY AND RADIO MAN!!
highfive.gif

MCC:

What green layer do you have?

Back
Top Bottom