Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone have any chickens that lay a dark brown/ burgundy egg? I'm wanting some to add to my existing flock.

Close to Erie pa. How about you? And how old are they? And how much?
That's pretty far from both Blarny and I (I have BCM's and Welsummers). We are both in Chester County, just a little west of Philly.

Try looking on Craigslist, though the pickings are pretty slim this time of year.

That's pretty far from both Blarny and I (I have BCM's and Welsummers). We are both in Chester County, just a little west of Philly.

Try looking on Craigslist, though the pickings are pretty slim this time of year.
Ok thanks. I did look on Craigslist but nothing.

Karl:

Sorry to opine...but your flock is much to small..we can help you with that...BTW your Roos will be fighting over the girls unless you get more....my two cents...
As much as I'd like to increase my flock not sure I'm aloud to have the ones I have, and as far as the roos if there's a problem then there will be chicken for dinner!
Thanks though, hoping for eggs soon!!

Ok thanks. I did look on Craigslist but nothing.
Too bad you aren't closer, we'd definitely get you what you want. PA is a huge state, some of us are neighbors and some might as well be 2 states over.

I've had people drive over 2 hours each way to get BCM chicks, and last weekend someone from Rhode Island called me but decided 4+ hours each way was too much. Honestly, I like Marans less and less the longer I have them, but lots of people want to try them. I like Welsummers more, but even our Welsummers are aggravating in their poor egg production and general lack of vigor compared to the other breeds. I'm planning to hatch and sell more hybrids next year. The majority of the people that want chicks care less about purity and pedigree than having a hardy and good producer of colorful eggs. I'm counting on my new Welbars and Black Sexlinks to make up most of the chicks that I sell.

That's good to know. I do want a good layer. I'm new to chickens. I have only had mine for 1 year. Well a little over a year. But I'm so in love with them. I want to have several different colors of eggs. Mine will only be for "Pets" and eggs. Well what kind do you suggest for me to get to get the dark reddish brown eggs? I really don't want mean chickens either.

Ann:

Sorry to hear...keep your eyes peeled ...,maybe the last one will show up...(listen for the peeps).....she'll be calling.....

I don't know if you saw my edit, but she did come back! She is in confinement though, I really want to keep her. I'm annoyed at myself for not taking better care of them. Oh well, at least I have one Rhodebar pullet!

Now just waiting for peeps in a few days hopefully! Candled last night and had to toss four eggs. But hopefully the girls will have enough between them. I'm curious to see whether mine tag team like I have seen others do (were those your broodies, Fisherlady?). The eggs should be hatching around the same time, so my two broodies will hopefully cooperate.

Back
Top Bottom