Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My Instagram is very original @loribischof lol! My posts are half farm and half cute kids!

Had a great day today... Purplefoxglove's lavender Orpington rooster made it to my home today. He is such a handsome and BIG boy. I also had to re-home two small bantam roosters for my brother-in-law as payment for babysitting the lavender orp all week.

Not sure how to introduce everybody. Planning to let everyone out to free range as usual in the morning and watch what happens. They will have to work out the new pecking order. I'm just going to watch closely and make sure no one is hurt.

After a week or so of this, I'll try to move everyone into my barn. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

I had a very productive day. Wormed, vaccinated and trimmed hooves on 9 goats, and cleaned out their pen. Feeling pretty good.

Are your goats dairy, meat, or pets? Do you like owning goats? I have heard mixed things.

My Instagram is very original @loribischof lol! My posts are half farm and half cute kids!

Had a great day today... Purplefoxglove's lavender Orpington rooster made it to my home today. He is such a handsome and BIG boy. I also had to re-home two small bantam roosters for my brother-in-law as payment for babysitting the lavender orp all week.

Not sure how to introduce everybody. Planning to let everyone out to free range as usual in the morning and watch what happens. They will have to work out the new pecking order. I'm just going to watch closely and make sure no one is hurt.

After a week or so of this, I'll try to move everyone into my barn. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

Make sure you can catch him if you let him out to free range right away, he won't know where 'home' is so I imagine he'll be extra difficult to put away for the night. I put my new girls in my chicken tractor when I got them home and have not let them out yet other than one accidental escape. She ended up hiding under some brush near our fruit trees and making a nest... I couldn't find her for over an hour! The next day she squeezed through the door that wasn't quite latched tight enough and went right back to that spot to lay an egg. She was easier to catch the second time because she was learning the tractor is 'home' so that's where she ran.

As long as you've got a mealworm container to shake, and he's been out for awhile, he should come running to the sound. That's how I'd been recalling him since the brooder. :D Good luck!

That does work pretty darn well for my girls too!

I was going to buy some dried mealworms, so I searched Amazon and found this: http://amzn.com/B00HJD7TX2
Has anyone tried Black Soldier Fly larvae? How do they compare to dried mealworms? They seem to be cheaper, healthier, and produced in the US.

I haven't, but I have seen them. Please let us know if you try them. Hatch day is about Wenesday for the eggs you gave me. She is still sitting on 14! I am so curious to see how many will hatch.... :lol:

I was walking around the coop, and noticed that the chicken wire over the window is torn apart, and the hardware cloth was pushed in in the corner. I'm guessing raccoon, but still have to ask; HOW?!
All are accounted for. I'll be sure to fix it today.

Last edited:
I wanted to show someone my progress of our new coop and our small flock. The basic design was formed around the removable pans. As we are build from free or very cheap materials we made some design changes from original thought
This is pile of wood I got for $30.

These are the rabbit pans I designed the unit around.

This is the foundation

That is our young roo

Some of our hens

Got sand free and patio stones cost $27

I know the 4 x 4 are not straight but they were free....

Coming along nicely got a window for it. barely gonna fit.
So what ya all think so far?

Back
Top Bottom