Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hope this is right page for this, new to site, from Pittsburgh area,have a few hens, working on new coop to expand, looking forward to chatting

Welcome!

I was going to buy some dried mealworms, so I searched Amazon and found this: http://amzn.com/B00HJD7TX2
Has anyone tried Black Soldier Fly larvae? How do they compare to dried mealworms? They seem to be cheaper, healthier, and produced in the US.

Hi. We use to buy meal worms as well. I don't know about the ones you asked about. However, have you looked into growing your own? It's much cheaper and it's very easy. We now have thousands of fresh meal worms to feed daily and to get us through the winter. Let me know if you need any help.:)

Hey there! We're from Chester County too!

It's amazing how friendly and affectionate they can get if you handle them a lot. Adam is my little lap buddy. I can't sit down anywhere outside without him invading my lap lol. The pictures are from the other day, sitting in the garden. Today, he snuggled up on me while I was lounging in the hammock reading. He won't move until I make him either lol

Well. Now part of me wants a couple turkeys. haha He is so adorable.

I really really REALLY wish I had handled the 5 new ones as babies. Now I can't get close to them and Pete is on the wrong side of the fence. I'm going to need a net or something to catch him. stupid bird....

I really really REALLY wish I had handled the 5 new ones as babies. Now I can't get close to them and Pete is on the wrong side of the fence. I'm going to need a net or something to catch him. stupid bird....
we got our poults around the same time as out meat chicks so they weren't handled all that much either. We were around them a lot, but we didn't snuggle them and carry them around a lot. They are pretty tame and follow me around, but they back off if I try to touch them. The new one we got from CC doesn't know us at all and is SO skittish. She won't even eat out of my feed cup and won't follow me/the food cup back into the run if she gets out. Half the time she's in the chicken run because she jumps the fence and won't follow me out of there - I can't exactly chase her around the chicken run with Romeo in there, not a good message to send to a roo who's been dealing with predator pressure. Silly bird, she paces the fence to get back in there but won't follow me out the door!

The rest of mine aren't as tame as Adam but they will follow me around if they see me, hoping for a treat and if I have the food dish, they'll follow me right back into their pen. It helps that Adam is the leader of the flock. This is what they were doing whike he was chilling on my lap. Just hanging out a couple feet away. A couple of them have started to follow his lead a little bit and will occasionally hop up on my lap too but only if Adam is there too. Turkeys have so much personality, I love it!

Well. Now part of me wants a couple turkeys. haha He is so adorable.
I think even having a single turkey with your chickens adds so much fun. This year I didn't hatch a lot of turkeys, so I only sold a few as poults, but I hope to have more of them next year to sell alongside the chicks. I think it would be perfect to have 1 turkey and a small flock of hens in a backyard. I'm pretty sure the turkey would be the leader, whether a tom or a hen, and being so tame, would make the hens act tamer too.

Only problem I see is that the turkey would steal the show and all the attention might be directed at him/her.

Which is why I will be adding some of them just as soon as I can get there living quarters finished. Although two of them will be guests of honor for the holidays, the others will provide guests of honor for years to come.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom