Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ann:

One of my POL OE, laid her first yesterday...(right in the middle of the run)...I watched he run up and down the hill going to each coop and setting for a while in each....its great when your young'in get in the game......

It is wonderful!

I'm still alive... school is crazy time consuming. Highschool is hard. If any of you have a highschooler, go give them an extra hug because chances are school was rough today and their brain hurts. If they take honors classes, give them an extra long hug... chances are they need it.

School isn't really hard necessarily, it's just draining... I feel like the life has been sucked out of me by the end of the day.

Girlfriend, I hear you! I was not stupid, but I hated school. I love to learn and read, but I just didn't fit in with the environment. You couldn't pay me to go back. It will be done soon, and then real life begins, which is much more fun! ;)

On second thought, I think the other bantam Cochin chick may be a Roo, I just noticed some reddening wattles today. Thoughts?

Does anyone have anything hatching soon in the central pa area? Poor Cookie's eggs didn't make it. One didn't develope at all, I accidentally cracked one last week, and her last one quit :( I'll give her more eggs if I have to but if someone locally is hatching something and has extra that would be easier lol.

Aurora dream I have hatching eggs, but I think we're not real close. I'm about 1/2 hour north of Harrisburg. My faverolles eggs are fertile. Not sure about the ameraucanas right now since the only roo in with them is older and I haven't seen any 'activity' from him lately.

It's ok I understand they funny thing is I don't have enough for my family and people are constantly asking to buy duck eggs from me I just don't have the duck eggs to do it it would be nice for an extra income to help with the feed. I have plenty of room for them it's just so hard to come by ducks that are laying or close to laying.

I think you may actually be closer to her than I will be when I'm in the LV area... it's probably only about an hour drive for you.

Thank you for your concern. Honestly if I can't find her a pet home by mid October I'll probably just keep her here over the winter. It's not like she eats a lot and I don't think I'll have the heart to follow through with selling her for meat. (Probably why I've been dragging my feet on placing a classifieds ad) I just know I can't sell as a layer cause of her eggs and it's hard to find people willing to buy ducks for pets. And you never know what people will do after they purchase them, as is their right.

I would be fine with keeping her as a pet. It's just no one buys our duck eggs so right now they're costing a lot of time, effort, and feed and not bringing anything in. We also decided to make a commitment by buying our meat in advance for the year in the form of broiler chickens and turkeys, plus other family drama that sets us back further than expected. Oh well, it is what it is. Hopefully we'll be able to sell our extra male guineas, cause then she would be no problem.

Thanks @emorems0 for offering up the chicken train and good luck with your travels.
Brenna

That's good to hear! It is hard, everyone I mean everyone thinks I've lost my mind for having pet ducks! They just don't understand! If I cold get there, I would buy her in an instant! Its really been bugging me!

I'm still alive... school is crazy time consuming. Highschool is hard. If any of you have a highschooler, go give them an extra hug because chances are school was rough today and their brain hurts. If they take honors classes, give them an extra long hug... chances are they need it.

School isn't really hard necessarily, it's just draining... I feel like the life has been sucked out of me by the end of the day.
I'm an introvert who works from home, so I know these feels. I go out to shop and I'm totally blasted for the rest of the day. Hang in there. HS seems like forever. It's not. Then real life happens and things get really interesting.

So it turns out one of the 16 Australorp chicks keeled over in the night. We found him buried under his brethren. I feel bad, afraid he might have been crushed even though we had the heat lamp positioned right. I think it was right. The chicks did spread out and didn't pile up except when we were handling them. He was a big one, too. RIP

One chick is spraddle-legged. Well, one of her legs is spraddled. One is straight. We followed an online tutorial we found here using band-aids to fix her little crooked leg, but she keeps ripping it off! Suggestions?

Lastly, I'm starting to worry our new 7-month-old RIW roo may be gay, or at least has the mentality of a 5-year-old child.

My hen: "Good morning, handsome. You're looking particularly roostery today." *peck peck*

My roo: "Oh my god, it's touching me! It's touching meeeee!" *flees in abject terror*

So it turns out one of the 16 Australorp chicks keeled over in the night. We found him buried under his brethren. I feel bad, afraid he might have been crushed even though we had the heat lamp positioned right. I think it was right. The chicks did spread out and didn't pile up except when we were handling them. He was a big one, too. RIP

One chick is spraddle-legged. Well, one of her legs is spraddled. One is straight. We followed an online tutorial we found here using band-aids to fix her little crooked leg, but she keeps ripping it off! Suggestions?

Lastly, I'm starting to worry our new 7-month-old RIW roo may be gay, or at least has the mentality of a 5-year-old child.

My hen: "Good morning, handsome. You're looking particularly roostery today." *peck peck*

My roo: "Oh my god, it's touching me! It's touching meeeee!" *flees in abject terror*
Sorry to hear about the chick getting squished. You should be able to get some good advice from somebody here in this group about the spraddle-legged baby as I know nothing about it. That's funny about your Roo. Just don't tell him that the hens have cooties or he'll never go near them.
lau.gif

Hi. I'm about 750 posts behind.
smile.png
My chickens are still not laying and I haven't seen any noticeable squatting, but I have found that they are rearranging the nests and the ceramic eggs that I placed there. Twice, I have found a ceramic egg moved from my nest and either buried or arranged into a new nest. Does this mean they will lay soon? Also, does this mean I am doing something wrong with the nests that I have? I have pine chips and timothy in the nest boxes.

I hope everyone is well. Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom