Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Poor Lacey, the chicks are growing like bad weeds but still want mommy time! Snapped this shot when we were working in the coop this evening...

That silkie pic got posted on my Facebook page also.
No eggs yet from the 2 baby girls, but I am not really expecting any. The only 2 that are laying right now are Serena and Colleen. Bridget just had a molt but I don't know why Mabel, Vicki, and Niko are not laying. I don't think they are hiding the eggs anywhere. I've searched and searched for a hidden nest. It seems too early for winter slow down.

Yes, she does seem to love it, especially since this is her third hatch this year! She's probably wishing I had only given her 6 eggs instead of 10 though! LOL

I hear ya. I have another one making that soft broody clucking. It might be time to get her some eggs soon. I think this is her third time since spring, if she decides to go full broody. :rolleyes:

They will be on their own at about 6 or 7 weeks if Lacey sticks to her normal schedule, so they have 2 or 3 weeks yet with her. I'd have to check our calendar to be sure.
She will take them up on the roosting shelves for a couple nights before cutting the apron strings.

Do you find your broodies are all different? I have one broody that has kept her chicks around much longer (the bantam Cochin). My Langshan Mamas definitely separate earlier, the one that hatched the 11 chicks has bailed out and the chicks all still sleep in the nesting box together. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom