Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I hope Lacey has a good hatch too but she's a seasoned professional so there's probably no doubt there lol. Ana has proven herself 3 times with raising chicks but this is the first time that she's actually done a good job of incubating them herself and keeping to the right nest lol. I even through 2 extra eggs in the bator a few days after I gave her the ones she has as backups in case hers failed. Now I  have a feeling that she's going to hatch hers just fine and probably too early for me to add the extras in with hers. (I WILL be trying though)

I just use a standard sized cooler. You know the kind that everyone had that's red with a white lid? No clue of the actual size is. It fits 6-8 boys, depending on their heftiness.

I just looked on walmart.com and I THINK it's the 48 quart. Don't quote me

I think about a 48 qt would work. If you don't have one that size you can take the legs off and separate the 'backbone' off at the back of the rib cage, this makes them fit a bit easier.

You know your silkies are at least the equal of any cochin for broodiness, right? Put some golf balls in a nest if you want the silkies to try to hatch them for you.

Okay, after talking to my husband, we decided I'm just going to give the owner some cash and have a new chicken. I have to laugh though, my husband didn't even balk at the thought of adding another chicken! :lol: I guess he figures, at least I'm only adding one at a time so far...:rolleyes:

Hello from Lancaster PA!

Welcome from Bucks County!

We are wanting to add some to the mix this spring...

Ayam Cemani are the number one pick.

Lavender Ameraucanas or lavender orphingtons

Sussex or Orlof

Maybe marans

On another note, we had only one hen laying and now we have about 18 laying. We changed up their food and gave them a little more light and bam there were eggs. Literally over night we went from one to a dozen. :) [COLOR=B22222]Now what to do with the 12 dozen eggs we have in the fridge!![/COLOR]

Buy an expensive incubator and hatch them, :jumpy I mean isn't that what we "should" do? There's no sense in wasting them.:yiipchick

Haha! :yuckyuck

At least one of last year's babies is laying! 3 small eggs this week! I think it is Rory - she has a redder comb. Jaebels is still small to my eyes but maybe they are both laying. Egg #1 was slightly speckled and the other 2 are not. Hard to tell if they are from the same bird or not. But I am excited!
:weee

Yay! Congrats!

Ana must know that her babies are due any day now. I reached under her to count her eggs and she watched my hands the entire time worth an evil glare lol. I'm glad she's not a biter!

My girl is sitting on a wooden egg and tried to remove my fingers every time I check her. Because she is a sex link with those cheek muffs, she is so flattened, I can't even see her eyes! :lol: I think I would classify her as a Class 1 broody, or the best. I read what @fisherlady posted in the broody thread about how some hens get bullied and some are very tough. This girl has not let anyone lay in her nest, and as soon as I get enough turkey eggs, I will put them under her. Only 1 from yesterday because I only have one turkey laying, and she is every ther day. When I get five eggs, I will give them to the broody.

Take them to Wal-Mart with you and see what coolers they fit in :lau

:lau. Pics or it didn't happen!

Set 192 eggs tonight, including 4 duck eggs to "test their fertility". And pulled 10 Olive Egger chicks from the hatcher. Many look like males :(

So sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest will surprise you,

Last edited:
Okay, after talking to my husband, we decided I'm just going to give the owner some cash and have a new chicken. I have to laugh though, my husband didn't even balk at the thought of adding another chicken! :lol: I guess he figures, at least I'm only adding one at a time so far...:rolleyes:
Yay! Congrats!
My girl is sitting on a wooden egg and tried to remove my fingers every time I check her. Because she is a sex link with those cheek muffs, she is so flattened, I can't even see her eyes! :lol: I think I would classify her as a Class 1 broody, or the best. I read what @fisherlady posted in the broody thread about how some hens get bullied and some are very tough. This girl has not let anyone lay in her nest, and as soon as I get enough turkey eggs, I will put them under her. Only 1 from yesterday because I only have one turkey laying, and she is every ther day. When I get five eggs, I will give them to the broody.

Do you want me to mail you a couple turkey eggs? I have 6 here I think :) There's a Bourbon red laying right now and a mottled black. Who knows if they'd be pure or mixed but your welcome to them. I Ajay gave 17 in the bator dancing around lol

Yay! Congrats!

Do you want me to mail you a couple turkey eggs? I have 6 here I think :) There's a Bourbon red laying right now and a mottled black. Who knows if they'd be pure or mixed but your welcome to them. I Ajay gave 17 in the bator dancing around lol

Sure, if you want to ship them out, that'd be great! I'll definitely reimburse you for shipping too. Not worried about purity, just trying to give my broody some purpose. Then I can sell the poults.

I took her off the nest today because I don't think she's gotten off the nest much at all, and she will have a longer wait if I give her turkey eggs to hatch. She SCREAMED so loud for at least a minute or two; I thought the neighbors might call the cops! She has settled down and is crushing and eating now. Oh the hysterics!

@Dheltzel. I did pick up one of my girls and checked her. Sure enough she's got live or mites, I forget which is which. Little beige bugs that go running when they see the light of day. What did you say you use for drops on the birds, instead of the powder? Sorry, to be a pest, I know I've had a lot of questions lately.

Sure, if you want to ship them out, that'd be great! I'll definitely reimburse you for shipping too. Not worried about purity, just trying to give my broody some purpose. Then I can sell the poults.

I took her off the nest today because I don't think she's gotten off the nest much at all, and she will have a longer wait if I give her turkey eggs to hatch. She SCREAMED so loud for at least a minute or two; I thought the neighbors might call the cops! She has settled down and is crushing and eating now. Oh the hysterics!

@Dheltzel. I did pick up one of my girls and checked her. Sure enough she's got live or mites, I forget which is which. Little beige bugs that go running when they see the light of day. What did you say you use for drops on the birds, instead of the powder? Sorry, to be a pest, I know I've had a lot of questions lately.

Ok, pm me your address again and I'll send you whatever I get through the weekend, either Monday or Tuesday :)

And we're off! Hatching has started on time on day 21. Last time they came out on day 22 and day 23 so I turned up the thermostat a tiny tiny bit.

This is our TV for today :)

@Dheltzel . I did pick up one of my girls and checked her. Sure enough she's got live or mites, I forget which is which. Little beige bugs that go running when they see the light of day. What did you say you use for drops on the birds, instead of the powder? Sorry, to be a pest, I know I've had a lot of questions lately.
This is what I use: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-pour-on-250-ml?cm_vc=-10005
I also get a syringe with a needle and draw some up in that. It's easy if you have someone hold the bird, just pull back some feathers on the back of the neck and deposit about 5 drops on their skin. This get absorbed through the skin into the blood and poisons the parasites as they feed. Obviously, it might get into the eggs they lay. Ivermectin is used for worms in humans, so it's not toxic, but maybe you don't want to consume it. Since you put if on each bird, you can avoid treating the ones that are laying, and treat them with something less likely to get into the eggs.

Since this is not "labeled" for poultry use, there is no defined withholding period.

It seems to me like the roos get lice worse/more than the hens, but I treat them all and then hatch their eggs.

Okay, after talking to my husband, we decided I'm just going to give the owner some cash and have a new chicken. I have to laugh though, my husband didn't even balk at the thought of adding another chicken!
lol.png
I guess he figures, at least I'm only adding one at a time so far...
roll.png

@fisherlady

Your egg supply will be much better by keeping the 2 CCL pullets. They are among my best layers.

Anyone interested in Cochin bantam chicks later in the spring/summer? I would like to experiment with black sexlink cochins and maybe autosexing (Crele) cochins. I plan to buy some chicks through Agway and could add some extras if there is interest.

Back
Top Bottom