Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The Silkie was off the nest this morning again. I think she is just enjoying sleeping in the nest box. I will check her feet tonight to make sure she doesn't have bumblefoot or something that is preventing her from hopping up.

I decided to give the new sick chicken some Oxytet. She just looks miserable. @dheltzel . Do I treat for one week? Also giving her some scrambled eggs this morning.

Also, I think one or two of my CCLs have starting laying! I found these four eggs in the window well next to the house, haha. They are telling me I better hurry up with those boxes. I found 8 eggs in the coop last night, so I think I have 9 or maybe 10 laying right now! And that is good news, because I have people who are ready to buy eggs too.
big_smile.png

Glad you didn't trade away any of the CCL pullets, they are awesome layers. I'm getting 30+ Legbar eggs a day now and not all are at POL yet.

I do at least a week of Oxytet, but longer if symptoms persist. I'm sorry you got a sick bird. As a general note to everyone, before you bring a bird to your place, put your ear up to it's chest for a minute and listen for any sort of rasping noise. If you hear that, avoid that bird at all costs. You should still quarantine, of course, but this will reduce the chance of you bringing a sick bird home. In my experience, the weak ones are the only ones that get symptomatic, so if they are making rasping/wheezing noises, not only are they sick and contagious, but they are the weakest birds from the entire flock - avoid them if you want to have a strong, healthy flock.

The Silkie was off the nest this morning again. I think she is just enjoying sleeping in the nest box. I will check her feet tonight to make sure she doesn't have bumblefoot or something that is preventing her from hopping up. I decided to give the new sick chicken some Oxytet. She just looks miserable. [@=/u/249441/dheltzel]@dheltzel[/@]. Do I treat for one week? Also giving her some scrambled eggs this morning. Also, I think one or two of my CCLs have starting laying! I found these four eggs in the window well next to the house, haha. They are telling me I better hurry up with those boxes. I found 8 eggs in the coop last night, so I think I have 9 or maybe 10 laying right now! And that is good news, because I have people who are ready to buy eggs too. :D
Glad you didn't trade away any of the CCL pullets, they are awesome layers. I'm getting 30+ Legbar eggs a day now and not all are at POL yet. I do at least a week of Oxytet, but longer if symptoms persist. I'm sorry you got a sick bird. As a general note to everyone, before you bring a bird to your place, put your ear up to it's chest for a minute and listen for any sort of rasping noise. If you hear that, avoid that bird at all costs. You should still quarantine, of course, but this will reduce the chance of you bringing a sick bird home. In my experience, the weak ones are the only ones that get symptomatic, so if they are making rasping/wheezing noises, not only are they sick and contagious, but they are the weakest birds from the entire flock - avoid them if you want to have a strong, healthy flock.
Thanks. I'm especially glad I didn't trade the CCLs to get a sick bird! I normally would have done a good check over on a new bird, but it was pouring rain and she was soaked. I just took a chance. Next time, I will schedule a pickup on a day it is not pouring out. Although more and more, I think I like the idea of raising my own birds from chicks, so I can get to know them well and make sure they are well taken care of every step of the way. Thanks, I will keep you updated on her progress with the Oxytet.

Thanks. I'm especially glad I didn't trade the CCLs to get a sick bird! I normally would have done a good check over on a new bird, but it was pouring rain and she was soaked. I just took a chance. Next time, I will schedule a pickup on a day it is not pouring out. Although more and more, I think I like the idea of raising my own birds from chicks, so I can get to know them well and make sure they are well taken care of every step of the way. Thanks, I will keep you updated on her progress with the Oxytet.
I always prefer to get chicks over older birds (or hatching eggs unless the source is close and very reliable). The more birds I have, the more afraid I am of bringing some disease onto the farm. Chicks are mostly safe and plus, I naturally isolate them from the adult birds for about 2 months until they are old enough to go to the farm.

The Silkie was off the nest this morning again. I think she is just enjoying sleeping in the nest box. I will check her feet tonight to make sure she doesn't have bumblefoot or something that is preventing her from hopping up.

I decided to give the new sick chicken some Oxytet. She just looks miserable. @dheltzel. Do I treat for one week? Also giving her some scrambled eggs this morning.

Also, I think one or two of my CCLs have starting laying! I found these four eggs in the window well next to the house, haha. They are telling me I better hurry up with those boxes. I found 8 eggs in the coop last night, so I think I have 9 or maybe 10 laying right now! And that is good news, because I have people who are ready to buy eggs too. :D

Congrats on the new eggers!

Easiest way to determine if your silkie is being broody is to check for poop in the box...a broody doesn't poop in the nest. If she is pooping in it then most likely she has decided it is just a comfy or safe place to spend her nights. Check that she isn't being picked on when trying to roost and that she has a roost that allows her to huddle down over her feet. Our silkies prefer wide, flat roosts or shelves to set down on, if given a shallow box (think box like soda or water bottles or mason jars come in) with hay or shavings up on our sand shelves they will use that also.

Back
Top Bottom