Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Yay, Chamomile!
wee.gif

Ditto x2!!! good to see a grand dam strutting her stuff.....imho keep the scrambled eggs coming!!!.....

Does anyone ever give their chickens cooked rice? And I mean that you make the rice for the chickens, not that they get a few scoops from table scraps.

I ask because I tried a new recipe for dinner this evening with long grain brown rice and it made way more rice then our family needed for the meal. we ate all of the chicken that was baked with it, so I gave the leftovers to the chickens. It was several cups of chicken flavored brown rice. They seemed to LOVE it and it is SO CHEAP compared to other special foods, so I was wondering if anyone here ever made rice for their chickens.

48 hour update on my little old lady, Chamomile--she is up and eating, walking around, and generally looking much more like herself. Pic attached--and please excuse the messy beak, she was just enjoying some scrambled eggs.
1f60a.png

So glad she's feeling better! Maybe she will make it through. :D

Does anyone ever give their chickens cooked rice?  And I mean that you make the rice for the chickens, not that they get a few scoops from table scraps.

I ask because I tried a new recipe for dinner this evening with long grain brown rice and it made way more rice then our family needed for the meal.  we ate all of the chicken that was baked with it, so I gave the leftovers to the chickens.  It was several cups of chicken flavored brown rice.  They seemed to LOVE it and it is SO CHEAP compared to other special foods, so I was wondering if anyone here ever made rice for their chickens.

I always give my chickens leftover rice, they love it. Im sure it's not problem if it's not the bulk of their diet.

So I have a beauty tip for all of the ladies here. If you want big full lips, wait until your flock goes to bed. Then grab your Tom who's not a fan of being handled. When he struggles and smacks you hard with his wing, whammo, instant full lips!

Haha, anyway, that how I got a fat lip tonight, from my boyfriend Tom who I was attempting to de-louse. :p

@dheltzel. Just wanted to give you some good news, after a few days of treating Wheezy with the Vetrx, she is no longer wheezing! I haven't heard her wheeze/cough for a few days now. I spent several hours outside today, so I know it was not a fluke. The other Silkie girls seem much better too, only an occasional sneeze, and they're old ladies. You may want to pick up the large bottle if you don't have any already. I am amazed because I tried two different kinds of antibiotics for her. She also just seems to look better. Some days she just looked miserable before. I'm so happy for her, hopefully she will put on some weight and lay eventually.

Also, I will be visiting family right around the corner from the farm in a couple of weeks. Does anybody need anything east of you? Do I need anything? :lol:

Edited to add, the Vetrx seems to have cleared up the lice problem very well. Tonight was my second course of the powder treatment (to make sure I treated any eggs that had hatched). When I first treated last week (with the Vetrx and the powder) about 4 of my birds had visible signs of lice. When I went to retreat tonight, I didn't see any! I treated everyone howeve, just as a precaution. I'm sure they'll be able to keep the lice under control for the most part as the weather warms up and they can dustbathe regularly.

Last edited:
Does anyone ever give their chickens cooked rice? And I mean that you make the rice for the chickens, not that they get a few scoops from table scraps.

I ask because I tried a new recipe for dinner this evening with long grain brown rice and it made way more rice then our family needed for the meal. we ate all of the chicken that was baked with it, so I gave the leftovers to the chickens. It was several cups of chicken flavored brown rice. They seemed to LOVE it and it is SO CHEAP compared to other special foods, so I was wondering if anyone here ever made rice for their chickens.

I do! They do seem to love it. I think there must be some nutrient in there they crave.

Back
Top Bottom