Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This is totally non chicken related, but because it my first spring in my new house, I am discovering all the spring plants that are here. Does any one have these? Jack in the pulpit is their name. I have always loved them. And now we have quite a few here!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...lpit&simid=607991710695556977&selectedIndex=7

PA is brimming with wildflowers of all sorts and spring is the best time to go hunting for them. Many wildflowers seem so rugged and robust in nature, but if you tried to transplant these, you'd discover they are very dependent on the conditions they have in the wild, and don't do well at all under cultivation, or at least they are a lot of trouble to get half the results that seem so effortless in the wild. Wildflowers are a delight you should enjoy fully while you can - too soon they will finish and go dormant.

That's not far at all! Knisely's is a feed store in Carlisle, I was asking in case anyone knew which hatchery they used. They get a large variety of chicks and have their breed order schedule online. I picked up 5 hatchery quality Dominiques and an EE from them in March, all sexed as pullets, however 2 Doms were obvious cockerels at week 5 :( so I had been curious if anyone had similar experience with misgendered chicks from either them or the hatchery they use. Doms are supposed to be fairly easily sexed at hatch so it was rather disappointing.
Knisely's gets their chicks from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron, TX. I like to "play detective" and figure out the hatchery by the breeds they list. First I found Silver Grey Dorkings, a breed no other commercial hatchery offers, but the "clincher" was the "Ideal 236" layer chicks. Of course no other hatchery is going to carry a chick branded to Ideal.

Sometimes the hatchery sends straight run either because they are cheaper, or just a mix-up, but most likely you just got unlucky. The hatcheries promise 90% accuracy, but you have to buy enough to make that statistically viable. 2 out of 5 being cockerels just means that 15 other Doms sold by the store were indeed female, giving them their 90%.

All Black Barred breeds are sexable at a young age based on the amount of white on their wing feathers. Males have twice as much white and stand out in a crowd, but looking at just one or 2 makes the amount of white a lot more subjective. At hatch, all you have to do by are the size of the white headspot and the leg color. Females have smaller spots and darker legs. None of the black barred breeds are as easily sexed as the sexlinked hybrids or the autosexing breeds.

Hello to all newbies from the last 2 years..
To the old timers. Hello, been awhile.

:weee. :celebrate. :frow

So glad to see you, WIng! I'm not such a great communicator, sorry.

One of my favorite podcasters often says "Facts don't care about your feelings"

I like that! I'm going to have to start using that one.

Hello Neighbor! You're right in my back yard...literally. The very next property behind mine is in West Bradford.

Knisely's gets their chicks from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron, TX. I like to "play detective" and figure out the hatchery by the breeds they list. First I found Silver Grey Dorkings, a breed no other commercial hatchery offers, but the "clincher" was the "Ideal 236" layer chicks. Of course no other hatchery is going to carry a chick branded to Ideal.

Sometimes the hatchery sends straight run either because they are cheaper, or just a mix-up, but most likely you just got unlucky. The hatcheries promise 90% accuracy, but you have to buy enough to make that statistically viable. 2 out of 5 being cockerels just means that 15 other Doms sold by the store were indeed female, giving them their 90%.

All Black Barred breeds are sexable at a young age based on the amount of white on their wing feathers. Males have twice as much white and stand out in a crowd, but looking at just one or 2 makes the amount of white a lot more subjective. At hatch, all you have to do by are the size of the white headspot and the leg color. Females have smaller spots and darker legs. None of the black barred breeds are as easily sexed as the sexlinked hybrids or the autosexing breeds.

Thanks for the info! I found a home for the boys easily, so it wasn't much of a big deal. One had the larger headspot and slightly lighter legs, so I suspected it could be male very early on. But the other had almost no head spot and the darkest legs of the bunch. But sure enough he feathered in light and had little red wattles and a bright comb at 4 weeks just like the one I suspected would be male. I know there's some margin for error, and based on what I knew to look for in the barred birds the surprise male would have likely fooled anyone! Glad I got extras just in case
wink.png

I don't know if Terramycin will help or not but you could check your local TSC to see if they have any in. It's like neosporin for eyes.

I have had good results from this with eye problems. I got some that was made for another country and shipped back to the US for about 1/2 the price.
I haven't used this place, but it's local and a lot cheaper: http://www.eagles-sparrow.net/Pages/TerramycinOphthalmicOintment.aspx

Curlys eye looks better today. Less swelling and she is not trying to close it. Just have been using Vetrx 2x a day. I will give it a couple more days, as she is showing no other symptoms. She is as active as ever.

@Auroradream26 I forgot to say the saddles are great. Kinda want to put one on but nobody needs one right now. Might do it anyway lol. I got all the eggs under my girls. Andromida only ha 4 under her so i gave her most of them. Seems to be perfect timing. Think I can start her count down tomorrow. I just set them next to them and they pulled the eggs in within half an hour. My broody Bantam keeps getting kicked off her eggs by the RIRs. Not sure what to do about it.

Back
Top Bottom