Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

You guys... Romeo gas been doing so much better, I suspect he may even be able to see out of his previously injured eye which is unbelievable to me since I had thought his eye was a goner.

Today, he looks like a sick chicken and I don't know what's wrong. He's just hunched over with his tail down or sleeping out in the run. He does come running for food, and ran right over when I brought out a bowl of water with some brown sugar in it (I still can't find my jar of chicken electrolyte stuff). His eye is still looking good, but something is definitely not right with him.
I have Corid and vetRX and the terramycin... not sure what I should do for him since I can't tell what's wrong.

Last edited:
It's happening people!! We're on our way to pick up the babies now! I'll have pictures when I can!

How did it go? What did you get?

@Auroradream26 I forgot to say the saddles are great. Kinda want to put one on but nobody needs one right now. Might do it anyway lol. I got all the eggs under my girls. Andromida only ha 4 under her so i gave her most of them. Seems to be perfect timing. Think I can start her count down tomorrow. I just set them next to them and they pulled the eggs in within half an hour. My broody Bantam keeps getting kicked off her eggs by the RIRs. Not sure what to do about it.

If you can move her, that would probably be the best. If she is getting bullied, she may do better to sit on a nest undisturbed. I have not done it, but I heard it is best to move them at night, as dark as you can keep it. Make sure she has settled in her new location before you give her good fertile eggs.

On a side note, I was laughing today. One of the silkies that likes to sit in the nesting boxes (not sure if she is sorta broody, or just bored) :lol: had kicked my Bielefelder chicken off the nest for a bit. Just for reference, my Bielefelder hen is as big as my rooster. And she was booted off by a little 8 year old Silkie! :idunno. It didn't bother me so long as someone was keeping the eggs warm!

You guys... Romeo gas been doing so much better, I suspect he may even be able to see out of his previously injured eye which is unbelievable to me since I had thought his eye was a goner.

Today, he looks like a sick chicken and I don't know what's wrong. He's just hunched over with his tail down or sleeping out in the run. He does come running for food, and ran right over when I brought out a bowl of water with some brown sugar in it (I still can't find my jar of chicken electrolyte stuff). His eye is still looking good, but something is definitely not right with him.
I have Corid and vetRX and the terramycin... not sure what I should do for him since I can't tell what's wrong.

Maybe you should isolate him for a bit and give him some TLC. I would recommend it, he sounds pretty bad. Make sure to check him over for any cuts. Hope he makes another comeback.

Isolate him long enough to see if he is eating and drinking ok, add some nutridench to the water for him. Keep him isolated until he poops a couple of times to see how it looks for color and liquid. It could be an infection but don't discount parasites or respiratory illness. A bird with an injury is more vulnerable to other illnesses such as coccidosis or bronchitis just because their immune system is overwhelmed.

So these girls were back in the same nesting box again. :rolleyes: At least they are not nasty with each other, and so far seem to share okay. Someone in the other thread called them Siamese broodys. :gig. We'll see how it goes. Between the incubator and the broodys, there will plenty of chicks to go around. @fisherlady, what is your record for co broodys? I'll be setting a record of my own if this works out. 3 broody chickens and one turkey.

So these girls were back in the same nesting box again. :rolleyes: At least they are not nasty with each other, and so far seem to share okay. Someone in the other thread called them Siamese broodys. :gig. We'll see how it goes. Between the incubator and the broodys, there will plenty of chicks to go around. @fisherlady, what is your record for co broodys? I'll be setting a record of my own if this works out. 3 broody chickens and one turkey.

I have had 3 raise chicks together as a true clan...and I think we maxed out at 10 hens with chicks or eggs all at one time 2 years ago, frequently juggle 5-6 at any given time in the summer. We have 1 hatching tonight, 2 more sitting on eggs and 3 with chicks of varying ages at the moment... and one making broody noises who we are expecting to find parked in the near future.

@Auroradream26 I forgot to say the saddles are great. Kinda want to put one on but nobody needs one right now. Might do it anyway lol. I got all the eggs under my girls. Andromida only ha 4 under her so i gave her most of them. Seems to be perfect timing. Think I can start her count down tomorrow. I just set them next to them and they pulled the eggs in within half an hour. My broody Bantam keeps getting kicked off her eggs by the RIRs. Not sure what to do about it.

I'm glad you like that saddles :) I have about 5 girls wearing them around right now. Both for looks and protection till we get these extra boys butchered lol.

Your poor broody bantam lol. Does she get right back on her eggs after the RIR move?

Back
Top Bottom