Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm with you LadyBehir, we love our roosters and we have 5 of them in 3 different coops. 'Cuddliness' varies but all are very respectful and come right up to us searching for attention or treats to share with their harems.... but with that being said we have also butchered off a few over the years who were raised the same way and were nasty to other flock members or the dogs and challenged us.
It is worth it to keep trying though, once you have a good rooster you really come to appreciate all they can be.
There are some breeds/strains that are predisposed to being nice, or not, but there is also an individual bird element. It is a numbers game, if you raise enough, you will get some of each. I generally eliminate the bad apples ASAP, but I have 2 now that I have to tolerate because they aren't replaceable (yet). Their sons are growing out and I doubt either one will be alive a year from now. They seem to understand their current status, that they are untouchable, but they don't get how fast that could change in the future.
I think it's important not to be afraid of any of our birds. I can handle these 2. The one is a bantam Ameraucana, and his effort are not painful, more comical really. The other is a big guy and he is becoming more cautious around me because I have started grabbing and holding him in a way that forces submission, so he's getting smarter. I've had some in the past that were not only mean, but also "dumb as a post" (2 silkie roos come to mind). Those are worth getting rid of quickly, you don't need that combo in your next generation.

I haven't had one nice rooster since I started owning chickens. I'm glad most of you don't have as many issues as I do. I don't get it, we raise them all the same and the girls are friendly, will let us pet them and will fly up to sit on our laps or shoulders. Then out of nowhere the two BO decided to attack last week. One is more flighty and will run away if I approach him, but the other one is much worse and will chase me down. Thankfully he gives up once he gets a taste of my shoe! But then I'll turn around and he's coming after me again. I hate having to lock them up but that's better than having to constantly look over my shoulder while I'm outside with my kids. I hope the other roo we have will be smart enough not to attack me. We also have a baby BR roo that is ok for now but we'll see how he is when he gets a bit older. I swear sometimes I think they don't have enough predators around here to realize that those are the "bad guys" and not me!!!

I must have the nicest roo. I keep hearing horror stories about them attacking. If any injury comes to me from my Dupli, it will be because I tripped over him. All my fiends get underfoot. Even him. And he lets me pet him. He doesn't quite cuddle, even the original ones don't do that anymore, but he is friendly.

That's awesome. My first (and current) Roo is wonderful as well. I knew I wouldn't tolerate a nasty boy. I got this Roo from @stake and he is a CCL/Marans mix. I need to post a current picture, he really is handsome. He is always good about showing his girls where the goodies are and keeping everyone fertile. His only negative is that he "overworks" some of the girls, but I'm hoping that will be resolved when a few of the young girls grow up.

Blue Bell, PA

Welcome! Glad to have you. Don't be shy!

X2. Most of our roos are at the very least, respectable. They understand our leadership and give way to us when we walk among them but there are a couple who are downright friendly. Blue, our silkie roo doesn't mind being held and will even snuggle up under our chins. Onyx, while not really cuddly anymore, will relax while being held.

Speaking on Onyx, I have the ayam cemani seperated and will start collecting eggs from them in about 2 weeks to give my stubborn broodies. I'm only going to keep them seperated for a little bit but if anyone would like some eggs, pm me!

Welcome, from Cambria county!

Um Yes. Please send AC eggs ASAP. LOL. I have a goodly amount already, but I know a couple more chicks won't be noticed... And the AC are on my chicken bucket list!

Welcome! I work in KoP and know BlueBell pretty well. If you ever want more birds, let me know, I've always got lots to sell (cheap this time of year).

Do you still have some ducks? Hubby said if I could get my fencing situation under control I could get some ducks. This was after he saw a cute duck video, haha! I'll be stopping by eventually for the brabanters anyways, right?

I haven't had one nice rooster since I started owning chickens. I'm glad most of you don't have as many issues as I do. I don't get it, we raise them all the same and the girls are friendly, will let us pet them and will fly up to sit on our laps or shoulders. Then out of nowhere the two BO decided to attack last week. One is more flighty and will run away if I approach him, but the other one is much worse and will chase me down. Thankfully he gives up once he gets a taste of my shoe! But then I'll turn around and he's coming after me again. I hate having to lock them up but that's better than having to constantly look over my shoulder while I'm outside with my kids. I hope the other roo we have will be smart enough not to attack me. We also have a baby BR roo that is ok for now but we'll see how he is when he gets a bit older. I swear sometimes I think they don't have enough predators around here to realize that those are the "bad guys" and not me!!!

I'm sorry. I have no idea what makes them nice or naughty. But I would bet genetics have a lot to do with it. Maybe look on Craigslist and see if anyone is trying to rehome a nice one?

Well, I guess there are a few good ways to break a broody. A few days ago, I took a bunch of babies out to the coop and had them separated. There were about 7 young CCL boys ranging from roughly 3-4 weeks old along with a few older chicks (8-10 weeks). Today, I removed their separator to let them loose. A few hours later, I went out to check on everyone and refill the food dishes and found that my one welbar hen was following the babies around talking to them and trying desperately to gather them up. Of course, not knowing what a broody is, they were running FROM her! It was rather comical. I managed to catch her and all the little ones and separated them and now they all seem content. I'm guessing about a week together and they'll know she's mom lol. Our one lone Muscovy duckling that hatched a while back is sharing their space too. I'll let Quackers loose when I let them loose.

IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1476.JPG IMG_1480.JPG

The kids wanted their pictures taken with the older meaties. They were struggling to hold them up lol

IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1481.JPG IMG_1482.JPG

And Sunshine and Lollipop are officially members of the flock now. They bed down in the chicken coop at night and free range all day :) I'm still trying to figure out if they are African or Chinese geese. Definitely not Toulouse like I was told lol

IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1488.JPG IMG_1489.JPG

Give a SHOUT!!
ya.gif

list
----------
Tonini3059
Scoop
Howipinchapenny
SunAngel
ChickyLuara
Kbarret
dirtybug
Whenchickensdream
Cjexotic
Buugette
Bwhite28
Azulegg
19hhbelgian
Jennh
Joerobscatfarm
Redsullivan
Gallorojo
QuailHollowP&P
RhodeRunner
QuailQT
Azuiechicken
Captianmoose
Bantam Bodon
Lovemyfeatheredfriends
Brandibaby23
1/2DozenWings
Happymedium
FLF
Chaugg
Murano Farms
Jeni51
Stina
Zaylinda
Duckncover
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
NuggetMidge

Hi all I have a problem and need advice. We have the 2 roosters and one hen and they are getting really rough with each other and fighting. They are 8 weeks old. So we found a farmer who will take them. So does anyone near Oxford PA area or Kennett area know where i can pick up couple hens to replace the the roosters? thanks for any help.

Hi all I have a problem and need advice. We have the 2 roosters and one hen and they are getting really rough with each other and fighting. They are 8 weeks old. So we found a farmer who will take them. So does anyone near Oxford PA area or Kennett area know where i can pick up couple hens to replace the the roosters? thanks for any help.

Hey:

I am located in Malvern and have a pretty good supply of young chooks from 8wks to POL.....PM me if you are interested

@LearninMyFlock came by tonight and left with about 50 chicks. Beautiful family with a lot of chicken lovers. This group has put me in contact with so many "poultry friends".

Yup, some lavender Ameraucanas (plain, silkied and bantams), Legbars, Welbars, Olive Eggers, Black Sexlinks. Even a pair of silver Welbars.

Awww! Thank you! Yes we do love animals:) My 9yr old 'rescued' Cottonball who was born crippled. By the next morning Cottonball was gone. So she buried her and made a gravestone. She has been nursing every struggling chick she finds. And is delighted when they seem well enough to put back with the others. I've lost several and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm really hoping I still have some of each kind till I'm done. And btw.... 50 was a very modest number:) and then all the extra roos yet also. We'll see which ones go to freezer camp and which will live in it bachelor pen along with Ruby and King from @catlvrpa and Red and Chicken Pot Pie from @@kj6485

Back
Top Bottom