Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I made watermelon jelly, watermelon strawberry jam, and apple pie jelly last night. Going to make apple pumpkin butter and pumpkin pie jelly tonight. My apple pie jelly is a little loose even after adding more sure jell. Not sure why.

I have found that different types of apples (and other fruits) have different levels of natural pectin in them, so they can all 'set up' differently. Unfortunately it usually means trial and error till you get the right combination for the fruit you are using each batch.

I used to do 'pie apples'.... I just chunked apples to pie size, put them in a large pan with enough water to almost cover them, added a little cinnamon and sugar to taste, brought up to low simmer till apple just started to soften on the outside then packed in hot jars (using the liquid they had cooked in to cover apples in jar to the neck) and water bathed about 40 minutes. I would then use the apples over the winter for pies or syrup. I didn't need to use the pectin for thickening the original canning process, just some fruit fresh to prevent discoloring.

the CX outcross babies got to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine today out in the little tractor :) The bigger ones are 4 weeks old now and the little one is 2 weeks.

IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG

The 3 ayam cemani chicks that I kept are enjoying their first day out with the flock. They've been in a seperation pen in the coop for at least a week now. So far, so good!

IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG

The turkey babies are getting big! These are babies from the beginning of July.

IMG_2572.JPG

Romeo and the 2 bourbon boys. One of these red heads wont be around much longer though. I don't need 2 red toms.

IMG_2568.JPG

Never a dull moment around here. Had some hand surgery last week and stitches across my right hand, rendering me fairly useless. DH and DD#1 got dragged away on a business trip on Monday leaving me to tend the animals and grandsons...with one hand. It’s been interesting...to say the least.

On the bright side... we got 4-H projects, eggs and pottery entered in the Unionville Fair. I’m soooo excited to see how the kids do. There’s nothing like a rosette to bring a sense of pride and accomplishment to a child. Wish I had these opportunities when I was growing up.

I had been having some issues with soft eggs. Someone suggested I could put oyster shells out even with my littles. So I did and no problems for over a week. Last night at lockup there was a smushed egg. I have no idea who is struggling. This egg was laid between 6 and 8 PM

Well, we officially own goats now...just in case we weren't busy before!:th:lau
My 10 year old wants to show market goats in the Huntingdon County Fair next year and is joining 4H. We went to the livestock auction in Belleville yesterday and bought him two 3 month old Pygmy Goats to start with before getting Boers after the new year. They are 21 and 25 lbs. They seem a little frightened, but are calming down nicely. We have plenty of grass/hay resources for the moment and I am thinking of buying some feed at TSC because I read that babies and milking moms should receive some feed to help with nutrition.
Any advice for this 'never owned a goat before" person????:bow

Well, we officially own goats now...just in case we weren't busy before!:th:lau
My 10 year old wants to show market goats in the Huntingdon County Fair next year and is joining 4H. We went to the livestock auction in Belleville yesterday and bought him two 3 month old Pygmy Goats to start with before getting Boers after the new year. They are 21 and 25 lbs. They seem a little frightened, but are calming down nicely. We have plenty of grass/hay resources for the moment and I am thinking of buying some feed at TSC because I read that babies and milking moms should receive some feed to help with nutrition.
Any advice for this 'never owned a goat before" person????:bow
Congrats!!! Theres a really good goat thread on here with lots of helpful people. I had a pretty rough start with goats and just adopted/rescued a girl that is going to be a pretty difficult project to get her back into top health. But having them is great and I wouldn't be surprised if we dont get more next spring.

Just want to say we made up our own strawberry watermelon jelly and it turned out amazing with no recipe! And the jelly I was worried about finally seems to have set up.

Back
Top Bottom