Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

When and where is the Unionville Fair?!?!

I’m so sorry about the dog. I agree with Anne, seperate the injured girls and keep them warm, I find that draping a towel over the cage that they are isolated in can help keep them calm. I’m sure you’ve already blu Koted, maybe some electrolytes in the water and some scrambled eggs if they need encouragement eating.

The Unionville Fair is held behind the Landhope at 82 and 926, it runs this weekend through till Sunday afternoon. It started a week or so ago with election of Fair Queens, the fairgrounds opened officially tonight with something that they call ‘Diamonds and Denim’.

I'm hearing a lot about 4H. My kids are too young right now, but can you let me know what the pros and cons are? In case one day they want to do it!

I would say that each 4-H is as good or bad as it’s parent volunteers. We’ve belonged to several different clubs in 3 different counties. We’re very happy with BOADF in Montgomery County and SPARKS in Chester County. What I find the hardest about poultry in 4-H is the mandatory blood tests before shows.

The perks are way too many to name, on the top of the list would be the acceptance and comradary of the other children, along with learning responsibility and public speaking. The cons would be, getting enough parent volunteers, getting leaders who can balance learning activities and fun activities for the various ages of the members.

Hey there, just dropping in to say hi and share some pics! It's been awhile, and the chicks I got from @dheltzel are 25 weeks old today. They have turned out to be really lovely. :)

The Legbar, Poppy
IMG_6817.JPG

The Olive Egger (left), Goldilocks, and the Welbar (right), Ginger:
IMG_6296.JPG IMG_6751.JPG IMG_6813.JPG

The Blue Egg Black Sexlink, Viola:
IMG_5758.JPG

The whole group awhile ago. It is hard to get a pic of Viola, she is very cautious and shy, but she has a lovely black green sheen and is growing up to be very pretty.
IMG_5708.JPG

None of them have started laying yet, although I've been waiting eagerly! @dheltzel, any idea about when these breeds generally start laying? I'm hoping it's soon, or else I figure they may wait until after winter to start.... :/

Attachments

• IMG_6293.JPG
    IMG_6293.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5758.JPG
    IMG_5758.JPG
    941.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6293.JPG
    IMG_6293.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6296.JPG
    IMG_6296.JPG
    769.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6813.JPG
    IMG_6813.JPG
    962.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 3
4-H is a great thing. I was very active in 4-H, my uncle gave me some bantams to keep and show. It "stuck" obviously. Now I can't say enough good things about 4-H, you should have him join for sure.
interestingly enough, they no longer show chickens at the Huntingdon county fair (maybe worried about disease transmission?) That was what he wanted to do at first, show chickens!

I'm so sorry to hear this. We went through something like this when we first started out and it's very hard. Azalea probably had some internal injuries. There was probably nothing you could've done for her :( Hopefully your other girl will pull through. I would catch her and use am eye dropper to try to dribble it down her break. Be very careful not to let her aspirate it though.
Thank you Aurora. I am doing that and it seems to be helping. I used to have a metal tube , used for sick birds. You had to be careful to make sure you got it into crop, but then you could feed or hydrate easily.(I had a Moluccan decades who despite avian vets and undivided attention passed away.) I tossed the tube out finally because it made me sad whenever I came across it. I never dreamed I would need it again.

I’m so sorry about the dog. I agree with Anne, seperate the injured girls and keep them warm, I find that draping a towel over the cage that they are isolated in can help keep them calm. I’m sure you’ve already blu Koted, maybe some electrolytes in the water and some scrambled eggs if they need encouragement eating.

The Unionville Fair is held behind the Landhope at 82 and 926, it runs this weekend through till Sunday afternoon. It started a week or so ago with election of Fair Queens, the fairgrounds opened officially tonight with something that they call ‘Diamonds and Denim’.
Thank you so much --Iris ate some scrambled eggs this morning! I am getting my mom back tomorrow--I will see if I can make it to the fair!

I like that Cornish cross setup. How did you make it? I have 4 Ayam Cemani that I purchased, I will keep two, and s relative will get the other two. I am keeping them for s month or so because they are still pretty small.

Wow, I have no advice, but I will be listening. We hope to get some eventually.

So sorry this happened. It's terrible when your own pet does this, and unfortunately, you will have to be extra careful. Once they have had a successful kill, the temptation seems into be greater.

I would isolate any girls that are injured, somewhere warm, like a garage, obviously where the dog cannot access them. They are probably still in shock, and may be for a few days. They can make a full recovery. I had a girl a couple years ago that I found in the morning with a fox chewing on her back. She had a nasty puncture wound or two, but went on to live a full, happy life. Even went back to laying eggs.

Keep the girls isolated and monitor them, for a few days if you can. I would also carefully look them over for other wounds, they can be easy to miss. An infection can be deadly, but can be prevented. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
Thank you so much Anne! I was scared to touch the girls who had no visable injuries, because I didn't want to stress them more. I took your advice and examined them all carefully after reading your post. Luckily Iris was the only one ( of the four out of an original 12) with open wounds. Thank you for the hope too. I don't care if my partridge orp ever lays again--she is so beautiful, I will be over joyed if lives.

Hey there, just dropping in to say hi and share some pics! It's been awhile, and the chicks I got from @dheltzel are 25 weeks old today. They have turned out to be really lovely. :)

The Legbar, Poppy
View attachment 1153759

The Olive Egger (left), Goldilocks, and the Welbar (right), Ginger:
View attachment 1153764 View attachment 1153765 View attachment 1153766

The Blue Egg Black Sexlink, Viola:
View attachment 1153762

The whole group awhile ago. It is hard to get a pic of Viola, she is very cautious and shy, but she has a lovely black green sheen and is growing up to be very pretty.
View attachment 1153761

None of them have started laying yet, although I've been waiting eagerly! @dheltzel, any idea about when these breeds generally start laying? I'm hoping it's soon, or else I figure they may wait until after winter to start.... :/
Unless you add lighting to make the days longer, they may not lay until spring, all my birds are slowing the laying now, many are molting. Yesterday I got about 15 eggs, total. A few months back, 120 was the norm for a day. I have gotten rid of some of the laying age hens since then, but pens that were producing 20+ eggs are now down to 2 or less.
All of them are old enough to start laying soon, but the shorter days are working against that. I don't start lighting until December, then increase gradually, so they think spring is starting early and should start laying in January or February. If you choose not to add light, it might be March or even April before they start.

Have any of you guys had to deal with slow or sour crops? Two of my Bielefelder girls always seem to have large crops. When I have felt them at night, they are large and very squishy, almost liquidy. They also have not been laying (perhaps for some time).

I read about vomiting the birds in the morning if their crop is full still, also isolation and a strict diet until resolved. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Have any of you guys had to deal with slow or sour crops? Two of my Bielefelder girls always seem to have large crops. When I have felt them at night, they are large and very squishy, almost liquidy. They also have not been laying (perhaps for some time).

I read about vomiting the birds in the morning if their crop is full still, also isolation and a strict diet until resolved. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I had to deal with it once with a younger pullet. She was seperated in my bathroom for a week or two. I know they say not to vomit them because of possible aspiration but I vomited her a few times a day to clear it out andnit worked. It turned out that she had a bunch of grass causing a partial blockage. I did not restrict her food at all but her blockage was only partial. She ended up recovering fine and was even welcomed back by her broody mama when she went back outside :) I would check your girls crops first thing in the morning before they've had a chance to eat just to be sure that's what it is.

Back
Top Bottom