Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey all! It's been so busy around here that I finally had time to catch up on posts.

Not trying to start any trouble but my female husky/hunting dog mix, Gracie Lou can be left outside all day with them and no problems, the big boy Ozzy is an Alaskan Shepard and I have had him bring me injured baby bunnies and chipmunks for me to doctor up. He is the kindest soul I've ever met in a dog, he's only ever killed 1 thing in his life and that was a squirrel that bit his girlfriend Gracie in the face. I had a better pic of Ozzy with them but can't find it. They do little parades once in awhile, they take turns following each other around the yard. I have zero fear that he would harm a feather on them. I could coat them in gravy and tie treats to their feet and he wouldn't hurt them. His only complaint is they won't let him smell their butt. He'll lay down and they will lay down all around him and sun with him. Gracie does get a little antsy around them at times, she whimpers a few times, gave chase to Peepsalot one time but wasn't real serious about it. A small touch up with the training collar and she won't go near them now. I was very fortunate with my dogs. I get tons of complements in public about their good behavior. My trick, if you can call it that. Was that from the time they were pups,I trained them as a mother and alpha would in the wild, teeth nips to the ears, when they got into their teens and challenged me, I dropped to all fours got them by the throat with my teeth and pinned them into submissive while growling ferociously. They are pack animals, with pack instincts and it only took one time with each of them and they've never challenged me since. Never had to hit them , only took a week to train on underground fence, their danger command is look out and they run straight to me. I couldn't ask for better dogs, they know I'm the boss and love me and won't do anything to make me mad,c except toilet paper lol, just so much fun the growling is worth it I guess.
View attachment 1481790 this is Ozzy with Sir Peepsalot when he got injured, he was so sad that the bird was injured, if peeps would cry in pain from his injuries Ozzy would wake me up and take me too him so I could put more Vetyricin on his wounds and rub his belly till he went back to sleep.
View attachment 1481790 View attachment 1481793
And the final photo is Gracie Lou, aka booboo. I love this picture, that look on her face is priceless. "Daa-aad can a pretty please eat just one, I'll be a good girl I promise, just one please" I did have her a lot better with them, but I had a really psycho welsummer cockerel that attacked everything from the big rooster to their hens to me, I tried breaking him but it would only take for a day and he was a jerk again. So I used him for guinea pig. I sat her in my lap and had him in the other hand and tried to have a face to face, I figured if she chomped him no biggie. So it was going ok, I even had her to the point where she'd hold stl and let him perch on her back, when A**hole (his actual name) decided, ok just gonna Bite this here dog for no good reason and she shook him off and growled at him which made him do the rooster drop kick maneuver to her face which prompted a very vicious sounding snarl. At which point A##hole flies to me for what I thought was protection. Oh my NO he's now biting the crap out of me and digging his claws into my hands... Needless to say he didn't finish the day. Figured if he was that damn crazy at 3 months old there was no hope for him at all. Gracie was perfectly adjusted to the birds before that now she's a little leary but even if she gets a wild hair, I don't clip wings and banties are great flyers.

Awesome! What beautiful dogs! I'm still working with my Husky mix here. I think she will be okay with the older girls, but the small bantam chicks I have are just too tempting. I will need to do some indoor training this week.

Patience is definitely a necessity with sled breeds, they are very food oriented so lots of training treats helps, whee if it's just a tiny piece of kibble to them a treat is a treat. I love these breeds the only drawback is the hair. It your going to dedicate yourself to these dogs you must love the taste of dog hair and be willing to accept the fact that you will never have anything that isn't either covered in it or full of it. Couple times a year you have to flip the fridge and the deep freeze and clean the coils. Spend a small fortune on toys. They are extremely curious and love to see what's inside the toy...

Thanks for the tips! My new girl is very smart, and seems to understand correction well. But she does get excited and that is when she is naughty. Now that I can start walking the dogs again, I think she will be better. A tired dog is a well behaved dog!

I lost my goat today.

So sorry, how sad. :hugs

All turkeys are essentially the same so pick what color you like and go for it. They make incredible backyard pets! We have bourbon reds, mottled blacks, royal palms, and penciled turkeys. We LOVE them all! It's such a wonderful feeling when they want to be hugged and snuggled and actively seek your attention :) I haven't heard of any Blackhead around but I'm Cambria county. Sex can be told early if you have at least one of each but it usually takes about 12 or so weeks.

View attachment 1491412 View attachment 1491414 View attachment 1491416 View attachment 1491417 View attachment 1491418 View attachment 1491419

Your turkeys are gorgeous! But my bourbon red girls are such brats. They are the noisiest, the nosiest, and they dont like to be touched at all. Typical divas! I am hatching out a few more, because some of the RP/BR mixes are so beautiful.

Thank you! She had 3 bumps on one foot.The smallest lump had no scab, so I left it alone. I soaked her foot in warm epsom salted water with lavender for 20 minutes. I used a hospital basin and she and I watched a bit of baseball. She just cuddled in my lap and talked the whole time. The middle sized lump gave up its contents with a good hard squeeze--the largest one was tougher. I am not sure I got out everything, but I Neosporin-ed and wrapped her up. Should I soak again tomorrow?

I have done bumblefoot surgery a few times. Often, it does require a few separate extractions. I have found a poultry wound spray like Vetricyn works wonders to help clean the area as you are working on it, especially if there is some bleeding. Check out youtube, there are some great videos on what to do. I won't bother with any scabs on their feet that I see, unless it is causing them distress, and they are not walking as much.

Myrtle is missing. Tiniest of the 9 so she could have gone ecploring through the fence. Or something could have gotten her. I will probably never know.

Did Myrtle show up? I have a trukey that is trying to go broody under a neighbors bush, so I have to break her. Can't wait until my new fencing is completed!

Here are two spoiled turkeys that I sold to a neighbor. Her family loves them, and this is we son taking a nap with them! The pencilled female is so gorgeous!

02C9F2B7-036E-45DF-BF55-EECD5F7E3583.jpeg
88EB0714-D22A-46B4-A75C-2B8323CF655D.jpeg

We are back in Malvern, PA after half a year away. The car doesn't work and will need money spending on it, so we're living on grocery deliveries. One thing that was delivered was the eggs I ordered, so my home made styrofoam incubator is back in service!

Here's what arrived from Spectrum Poultry today:

8 BBS Croad Langshan eggs (My theory is the bigger birds will reduce hawk attack)
8 BBS Ameraucana
6 F5 Olive Egger
6 Black Copper Marans

Our daughter's 1st birthday is August 31st, so we will hopefully have more than one birthday on that day :pop

9DCBD99A-EC68-4283-9C4A-FD228EB1EC6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Another hot and sticky day in SE PA! I usually let the chickens out at dusk for a run around, but today I strung a tarp up on an enclosure and gave them last year’s CornishX tractor with its food and water station for the whole day. They loved sunbathing and digging dusty holes all day, and no hawks bothered them. Shame there’s only 3 of them to share it.

F54B0EF0-82DF-463A-8A9D-E25432969DBF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom