Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ugh, I was dreading this. My favorite fat chicken, Fluffy, was not on the perch so I picked her up and had a feeling something was wrong. Sure enough, I checked and it looks like she has a bad bumblefoot. How can I take care of this? From what I remember - a soak in warm water with epsom salts? I don't want to cut it out of her. Our rooster also has a small one that I've put off on treating because, life. Ugh looks like my weekend will be full of treating chickens... any advice? Thank you!

View attachment 1549838

Honestly your really best cutting it out. My method is to take an exacto knife with a new and sanitized blade and basically trace right around it just cutting in a little then grab an edge with tweezers it usually pulls the whole affected area out and 75% of the time it has taken the corn you need to remove with it. I squeeze out any of the puss then soak in warm Epsom water for a bit squeeze some more. Rinse with peroxide, give a squirt of Blue Kote pack the hole with triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it up well with bandaids and vet wrap. I check the foot again in 3 days to see how it’s healing clean it and re wrap if necessary. It really doesn’t take long and at least then you know the infected area is thouroughly removed and cleansed. Good luck!

Warm Epsom salt soak then try to squeeze it out. I've always had the best luck just cutting it out then bandaging up the wound.

Honestly your really best cutting it out. My method is to take an exacto knife with a new and sanitized blade and basically trace right around it just cutting in a little then grab an edge with tweezers it usually pulls the whole affected area out and 75% of the time it has taken the corn you need to remove with it. I squeeze out any of the puss then soak in warm Epsom water for a bit squeeze some more. Rinse with peroxide, give a squirt of Blue Kote pack the hole with triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it up well with bandaids and vet wrap. I check the foot again in 3 days to see how it’s healing clean it and re wrap if necessary. It really doesn’t take long and at least then you know the infected area is thouroughly removed and cleansed. Good luck!

I'm going to try soaking in epsom salt water first. I don't want to cut into my chicken's foot! :sick

@dheltzel
about the breda's, they're different thats for sure, tall and lanky and the ones i have are not tame at all but i think thats because i got them as older chicks and couldn't work with them. still waiting for the hens to lay to see about the eggs but the cockerels so far are too afraid of me to come close so , so far so good
again thanks

I'm going to try soaking in epsom salt water first. I don't want to cut into my chicken's foot! :sick
I like adding a touch of peroxide to the soaking water and epson salts. I think Ivy actually enjoys sitting in my lap and soaking in a hospital washbasin. I find squeezing them easier than popping my son's pimples.. my son is harder to catch,lol! But I think I may need to use a tweezer next time for the residue, Ivy's one food is good now, but the other seems to recur. I think I am leaving a trace in there with just squeezing.

Hey guys hope everyone is well! We have a full farm now with pigs and everything! I managed to get and hatch a few AC eggs and two look really good!
I have a question for you guys. I have 1000s of wild raspberry plants on our property and had a crazy good harvest. I just went out to start cleaning around new growth for next year and some of them are flowering and even have berries. I'm at a loss. I thought first year growth didnt produce fruit and only does so once. So what's going on and will it affect next year's harvest? Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts?

Ugh, I was dreading this. My favorite fat chicken, Fluffy, was not on the perch so I picked her up and had a feeling something was wrong. Sure enough, I checked and it looks like she has a bad bumblefoot. How can I take care of this? From what I remember - a soak in warm water with epsom salts? I don't want to cut it out of her. Our rooster also has a small one that I've put off on treating because, life. Ugh looks like my weekend will be full of treating chickens... any advice? Thank you!

View attachment 1549838
Hi! Hope everything else is going well. Its really not that bad. I was super nervous and grossed out but honestly it wasn't a big deal. Just get everything you need laid out and one of your kids to help hold or hand you stuff. Gather up your courage,start slow and give it a go. It doesn't take too long and you'll feel like a rock star after lol.

Hey guys hope everyone is well! We have a full farm now with pigs and everything! I managed to get and hatch a few AC eggs and two look really good!
I have a question for you guys. I have 1000s of wild raspberry plants on our property and had a crazy good harvest. I just went out to start cleaning around new growth for next year and some of them are flowering and even have berries. I'm at a loss. I thought first year growth didnt produce fruit and only does so once. So what's going on and will it affect next year's harvest? Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts?

We have red raspberries. I am forever "thinning-out", they grow everywhere.
We also are having a 'second' harvest from them. This has been the norm for us. It is nice to have a fresh-berry so late in the season.
I like to thin-out the small first year canes, because it can get so thick in there it will hold moisture & cause mildew/mold and bring in pests.
I try to keep the older canes as they will continue to give berries from year to year. As long as they make it through winter..(wind burn).
We have our patch around a split-rail fence. I just tie-up the longer/older canes as they grow-out. We have had to put the red berries under netting. The birds are very bold and will take them all if we didn't cover them. Sometimes a bird will get stuck in there..looks like we have an aviary:rolleyes:. We had to cover the strawberries this way too.
Made the enclosure large enough to walk into instead of bending/hunching the whole time picking..getting too old for that:old.
Some people cut canes back every year, I just tie mine up...whatever works for you is the best way;).
Experiment with them. I have found this is not only fun & interesting to do, but I realize rather quickly what is going to work here, in our yard, with the bird/pest/issues we have. Every yard is different.
Good to hear you had a large harvest this year!

As you can see, those canes will have to be cut back a bit, they have grown through the netting. I wasn't able to keep up with them like I should, but there are berries everywhere.
To the right is the black berries, not black raspberries. Can't put red & black raspberries together, they will all turn to black Rasp.

Attachments

• 100_4518.JPG
    100_4518.JPG
    811 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom