Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

This is close to the "next" tractor I will build, with a few changes:
1) Metal roof only over half of the top. Maybe have some pieces that I can put of the rest when expecting rain/snow without wind. Could have side panels at the ready for winter as well.
2) no external nestboxes - personal preference, but I think them not worth the effort/expense.
3) The interior wall would be only partial and openable -- think panel on top half that pulls up to open the interior completely for cleaning and extra ventilation in summer, with the bottom half always open.
4) Back outside wall (not visible in pic) would be wire with solid removable panels to maximize airflow (put panels on for winter)

Finally, you need a safe place to park this for the winter. On high ground, maybe even a stone or concrete pad to provide perfect drainage for the bedding.
mobileCoop007.jpg

I am still figuring out which type of coop to build. I am also going to be making a tractor so my ladies can work the ground for our up coming garden season. The coop that was left is really small in my opinion as a new owners.

You are right about this coop is only big enough for one chicken. Dennis gave you very good idea of the tractor. I was going to recommend his hoop tractor:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/

Then I saw he had issue with it.

You are right about this coop is only big enough for one chicken. Dennis gave you very good idea of the tractor. I was going to recommend his hoop tractor:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/

Then I saw he had issue with it.
I built 4 from that design and every one of them has been broken a number of times by strong winds tossing them around. I repaired them most of the time, until they are finally broken too severely and I had to dismantle them. It is a cheap design for fast, temporary housing, but I never kept birds in them over the winter, they are just too flimsy for that. So every fall I am left scrambling to get winter housing for all the growouts in those hoop tractors. Got to come up with a different plan for next year, probably grow out fewer birds (as if that could happen).

Does anyone know of a design for a small hen house tractor that doesn't require a pen? I can let the birds free range in my electrified enclosure during the day but need a moveable house for when I get new chicks in the spring. It must be light enough to move, but heavy enough not to blow away.

Also Denise where do you get those nice wheels?

Is everyone preparing for this ice storm we're supposed to get tomorrow? They're saying around 1/4" here. We're going to go get the propane tanks refilled this morning just in case we lose power. We won't be going anywhere tomorrow, that's for sure!

Is everyone preparing for this ice storm we're supposed to get tomorrow? They're saying around 1/4" here. We're going to go get the propane tanks refilled this morning just in case we lose power. We won't be going anywhere tomorrow, that's for sure!
Yuuuup. Not looking forward to the ice but hubby and I wrapped up errands and have everything we could possibly need. What a way to ring in the new year!

We have to go to in-law's house for a new year party. :barnieGuess we need to drive really slow.

Back
Top Bottom