Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

You want to use pine shaving and mix a Couple handfuls with it. Just put down the shaving and then take handfuls and throw it on top, not too much though. And dont breath it in one of our members breathed some in and got dry cough for weeks.

Quote:
Cherl,
sent you a private message. when you come to this page, look at the top dark blue bar. In the middle, it says "Messages". Just click on that.
Best,
Karen

My hen house is a part of my garage on a cement floor. It is covered with both fine and coarse pine shavings, deep cover method. I also add a scoop of DE and PDZ. The outdoor coop is one of those tent garages on an dirt floor that is covered with straw and a scoop of DE and PDZ.

They get raked and fluffed every other day with the "chunks" going to the compost pile.

I'm in the burbs and only have 5 hens so cleaning the coop isn't a big deal. If you have more birds, there might be better methods.

I forgot about sweet PDZ, the horse stall freshener! Great suggestion and great stuff! Yes, I also put it on the floor of the coop with the DE before I put down 4-6 inches of hardwood shavings I get in the white bale at Tractor Supply. That sweet PDZ sure helps keep down any ammonia smell. I clean my 4x6 coop about 3 times a winter. Inbetween, I add more chips.
Best,

Morning all. I'm just over the border from PA and thought someone might be interested in my ameraucana pair. I'm downsizing for winter and this is my last ameraucana pair available. PM me if interested.

I also love to barter, so if you got something to swap for these birds just let me know or shoot me an offer.

All my ameraucana's are from the top lines in the country, Jean Ribbeck, John Blehm and Harry Shaffer.

LF Split Lavender/Lavender Ameraucana Pair $35
Split Lavender Roo (15 wks)
2011-08-14_11-34-10_75.jpg

2011-08-14_11-32-55_410.jpg

Lavender Pullet (10 wks)
2011-08-17_13-22-08_318.jpg

Quote:
Right now I use pine shavings but I plan to switch over to sand (Hopefully!!!). I do sprinkle food grade DE in the egg boxes and coop as a preventative. There's so much said on BYC about it's benefit in preventing lice/mites, figured that as long as I could find the food grade version, might as well use it.
big_smile.png

chicken stalker ~ Gorgeous pair of Ameracuanas! I rehomed my BA roo a couple months ago and DH would take a fit if I got another....oh but he's soo handsome (the roo, that is).

Last edited:
Hello fellow Pennsylvanians! For reasons I won't go into, I need to leave my husband and lovely home. Does anyone know of a small house for rent that isn't too far from Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg, that will also allow me to bring my chicken coop? This is so hard for me, because I realize that I will probably have to sell them and the coop. No one else would take care of them after I left.
So far it's been hard enough to find a place that will allow my 2 dogs.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I truly feel for you and know what you are going through for reasons I can't get into either. Just wanted to say I understand and send you a hug!
hugs.gif
I hope you are able to find a place. I will keep my eyes open. How soon do you need the place?

barnie.gif
When will this rain stop?

I live in York County and they are closing our schools and roads are closed due to flooding. I am stuck 20 miles from my home right now watching my niece who is home from school sick today. I hope to be able to get home later today. DH called to say he built a dam to divert water away from the coops as the runs were flooding.

Back
Top Bottom