People wanting eggs ASAP

bantiehen

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
Montana
okay I have four hens I had six but I had to sell two to my friends cause their dog got into their neighbors chickens , anyway not the point. The point is they except my hens to lay 30 eggs in 10 days o0 .. I'm lucky if I get four eggs every other day if not four sometimes just two..

I was thinking about putting something on the carton saying my hens aren't battery caged hens where the store gets their eggs from and that mine aren't forced to lay every day and that my hens are free ranged. I don't think that the people who are buying my eggs quite understand the difference or they just don't plain know where the store gets their eggs from and the condition of hens.... what would you guys do????????

Free Range eggs are very popular now a days and a very good selling point. Where are you advertising your eggs? Craigslist can be a vital sales tool

If I really wanted to make money from my birds, I would get enough hens to fulfill my customers' needs.
idunno.gif

Send 'em my way. I have plenty. I'm getting 14 eggs a day from 16 hens. Usually about every three days I may get 9 eggs.

On the other hand you can tell your customers your hens are not in high production at the moment, and their name will be added to the waiting list. Thank them for interest and call them when you have eggs for them.

well sometimes I get tons of eggs from my four hens sometimes not lol.... its just one of those things I guess... I don't advertise on craiglist I just have a sign by my front yard :) problem is normally people just want 12 dozen not 30 eggs all at once o0.... And I did have 6 hens I just have four now.....

Problem is they are demanding to have the eggs on a certain date and I was like excuse me?????? They want 30 eggs 18 dozen and then 12 dozen all on the 11th of this month.. o0 I'm like are you kidding me lol

Last edited:
Send 'em my way. I have plenty. I'm getting 14 eggs a day from 16 hens. Usually about every three days I may get 9 eggs.

On the other hand you can tell your customers your hens are not in high production at the moment, and their name will be added to the waiting list. Thank them for interest and call them when you have eggs for them.

goodpost.gif

yeah :) I bought more little pullet chicks :) to help re populate the population :) :) ... Their getting bigger :) :) ... I kinda changed it up on what I got this year .. I have three white rocks. two barred rocks, two buff orpingtons and four red Naked Necks ...........

I've said it several times on BYC and someone even took it for their sig line: Hens are not vending machines! Folks must simply understand that you are not a high production facility and be grateful when they can buy good fresh eggs from you. My neighbors buy from me, including one woman with a heart condition who is happy to have super fresh eggs where the hens are not fed anything weird/nasty like antibiotics, which is a no-no for her condition.

When I don't have any, the neighbors are disappointed but thrilled when I call them and say the girls are back in good production and I have plenty to sell. The periods when they are forced to buy those anemic sad grocery store eggs (yuk, gross) make them even more appreciative of the ones they buy from me.

I have 24 hens in my main laying flock and there were two to three months when production was way off and I got only maybe 4-9 eggs per day, no extra to sell. The neighbors were chomping at the bit to have them again by the time most were laying again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom