people with a lot of kids! I have a few questions?????

hsm5grls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
tucson
I know this is a chicken forum but you all give such good advice and I am totally freaked out. As everyone probably knows I am pregnant with my 6th baby. I am a little scared at the logistics of it all. I was hoping some people here would have advice as to how the manage it all. How do you keep it all organized, where do you put everyone, how do you schedule everything. You would think with 5 I would have this all figured out but I don't. I am just getting myself all freaked out and worked up. I know in reality it is just 1 more but WOW 6 is a lot. I keep thinking "I only have X amount of time to get this all together and running smoothly" (does it ever run smoothly?)
Need good tips, advice and encouragement.

biggest concerns are...Kitchen table sits 6 and baby is in high chair how can we still eat as a family the kitchen is not big enough for a bigger table.

Bedrooms. I have 2 kids in each right now and baby sleeps in our room. I am going to have to add another bunk bed to the bigger room and put more kids in there.

laundry..I am drowning in laundry don't see that problem getting any better.

some one tell me I am over analyzing all of this PLEASE

Last edited:
You are over analyzing it. Don't get yourself worked up, it's going to raise your blood pressure. Everything will work out, there is really no other choice....but honestly your concerns though valid are minor ones that will fix themselves. I used to run a day care when I was newly married. I took care of thirteen kids in a one bedroom house. It was tough but I managed it and so will you.

Take a deep breath and relax, everything will be fine I promise.
hugs.gif

Poor Baby, your hormones are running amuck. It will work out, get another washer so you can keep up with the laundry. I come from a family of 12 and my mother only had the one washer, we hung our laundry on the line but mama kept it up. Put 2 kids in a bed, it used to be done that way. You will be fine

Oh wow.........your life sounds very familiar to me.......dont know if I have what you would call answers for you......
I had 4 kids.raised them on my own from the time they were 1,2,4,5 ,with no money really......no options of building more room or things like that....as you know...how tight things can be........
I had 4 kids to a room sometimes....boys and girls.....me sleeping in the livingroom or on a floor at times so my kids could be separtate when it came time.........at times didnt even have a dining room or table.......we used to eat on an old coffee table........I felt like I would lose my mind at times........now I am not sure I didn't do just that........laundry was..........well, insane.......it stayed that way most of their lives........never did change..... I look back on it now......how much it taught us about what we really can live without..........we had such good times.....great memories of how creative we had to become just to survive living in such tight quarters........... I can only offer this........
time is fast............you are doing your best........allow yourself these days of feeling crazy....then keep doing you best........you sound like such a dedicated mom and family...... take pictures of your daily life..of that too small of a kitchen table.......and room, so one day you can look back and wonder..........how you got through it all..... By the Grace of GOD thats how.......

Last edited:
First off.....RELAX! You just do it, there's nothing else you CAN do. People thought I was crazy with 4, but you don't sit there and say I Can't do it... you have no choice! Do a few loads of laundry every day, and be sure to fold and put away right away, or else you will be overwhelmed. Set things out the night before so your mornings aren't as crazy. Don't let things go, you have to keep on top of things. I got a kids fold table and chairs where my grand kids eat...got six of those. They think they are so cool and it frees up your table. They can do their coloring on it too, again, keeping your table free of the mess.
And relax, you'll be fine. You've managed 5 so you already know more than you think. Enjoy the kids, they grow up so fast and have fun with them. Don't be so worried about how to get them raised that you miss the funny things they do!!
lol.png

Quote:
OH memories for me NC. we had 9k ids.sometimes 5 to a bedroom..........I was thrilled the day I could own my OWN dresser AND bed .....missed someone there with me though.go figure.........

It will all work out.... My solution lately - let the older kids do the work. I mean they live here, right...??? They make the bulk of the mess...right??

My oldest two are 11 and 9 , then I have an almost 8 and just turned 5. They can all pitch in with the laundy and cleanup chores. The oldest boy is vacuummer. The 11 and 8 yr olds are in charge of getting dishes done. Everyone pitches in on getting the table set, laundry to the laundry room and stuff picked up.

As far as the table - just pull up a chair to the corner of the table. We eat 6 around a table built for 5 this way.

You'll find the new normal - momentary panic is normal...and all things will pass!

I'm just jealous - wish i could have had 2 more but DH says 4 is enough for us.

I know how you feel, I have 6 cats.
gig.gif
Just kidding.

My parents had 4, I know that's probably way different than 6 though.

We had chores! We cleaned the house, we washed the dishes, we pulled weeds out of the garden, we washed our clothes (when we were old enough to understand separating colors) and WE are more responsible adults because of it.

I know planning activities for each kid will be hard and the younger ones can't reach the sink to wash the dishes but the older ones can help you out.

You are truly blessed, just remember that. You have 5 kids with the 6th on the way...some women can't even have 1. Just calm down, sit back and count your blessings.

You'll be fine!! And just think how much fun all those kids will have once you can get your goats!
clap.gif

Thank you all for your comments. I was crying reading the posts. I am truly blessed and I knew you all would put it all in perspective for me. Sometimes the stress of it all makes us over look the true blessing that it is. I have spent so much time trying to get them all raised that I have been missing out on the joy of it all. I am really saddened by that. I want to enjoy all the stages not try and hurry up to get them to the next stage. Thank you again. I knew I could count on my BYC friends to get my head straight.
Tomorrow will be a new day in my house with new meaning by the grace of God.

Don't fret...
We have 5 children (10,7,6,3,2).

I am with you on the laundry!!!

We live in a old farm house with 3 small bedrooms total. 7 of us just all share the rooms.
Noone is ever lonely or cold!

Somehow the table is always big enough...

More to love...there is never anything wrong with that.

Congratulations,
Christie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom