PERCHES

OK,
I HAVE 21-22 WK OLD REDSTARS THAT HAVE JUST STARTED TO LAY RIGHT NOW THEY ARE STARTING TO LAY ON THE GROUND MY NESTING BOXES ARE APROX. 2 1/2 FT OFF THE GROUND I HAVE HAY AND CERAMIC EGGS IN THEM AND THEY ARE NOT LAYING IN THEM THEY ARE APROX 12X12 BOXES. I THINK MY PERCH ON THE FRONT IS TO CLOSE TO THE NESTING BOXES AND ITS HARD FOR THEM TO GET UP THERE. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED i have included a pic of the front of my nesting boxes
Yes, it's too close. and maybe too small too. I use a 2x4, wide side up, about 8" away from front of nest.

Ok what about my opening they are 12x12 BUT. I have a 1x4 on the bottom and a 2x4 on top so that takes up at total of about 7" so the OPENING is aprox. 12" wide and 6" high

Ok what about my opening they are 12x12 BUT. I have a 1x4 on the bottom and a 2x4 on top so that takes up at total of about 7" so the OPENING is aprox. 12" wide and 6" high
I'd leave the 1x4 on the bottom to hold the bedding in and remove the 2x4 on top to enlarge the entrance to the nest....maybe use that 2x4 as a new and improved perch.

Ok this is what i have now. I rounded the tops of the openings and added about an 8" perch on the front should this work now? I left my old perch to show the difference

Back
Top Bottom