Perfect Example of EYP — Graphic Photos

Your information looks pretty spot-on. Though, just to add, chickens don't sweat, so I wonder what that water was...
I have read that chickens do not sweat, but I didn’t know what else it could be. There is no telling how high her temperature actually was. She literally was sitting in a pool of clear liquid. I use a plastic tray in the bottom of my nest boxes with nest lining on top. This nest lining had been worn thin in the middle so the plastic was showing. I pulled the nest innards out of the box the next morning and there was still a puddle in it.

Her feathers were not wet anywhere except underneath her. Even after I brought her inside she was still producing liquid from her underside. My lap was wet where she laid. All of it was clear.

I really do not have an answer because I don’t know. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is something I need to research more in-depth.

ive never really had any diseases in my flocks... other than pasty butt....
You are very lucky then. But unfortunately, I’m not sure you’ll be able to escape not having some kind of disease if you keep hens long enough. When you think of the miraculous way hens produce and lay eggs, it’s utterly amazing. Some of the hybrid hens (ones bred to be an egg-laying machine) are the first ones to suffer reproductive problems, sadly.

I'm not absolutely positive, I've just heard that and read that they can't sweat many times...I could be wrong, though. :)
No, you are correct. Chickens do not have sweat glands and, according to what I’ve read, use evaporative cooling to regulate their body temperature and cool themselves. However, I just wonder if her extreme temperature had something to do with it. I’m at a loss on this one.

No, you are correct. Chickens do not have sweat glands and, according to what I’ve read, use evaporative cooling to regulate their body temperature and cool themselves. However, I just wonder if her extreme temperature had something to do with it. I’m at a loss on this one.
I'm wondering what it could have been as well, I'll definitely be following this thread and seeing what I can find on this one. Could it possibly be coming from her vent?

Back
Top Bottom