Persistent white discharge/poopy feathers after prolapse

FuzzyDuck

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
My hen Minerva had a vent prolapse last fall (I posted at the time) which she recovered from, thankfully. But basically since that time, she consistently has a messy bottom. Mostly white/crusty and I suppose poopy. We regularly clean her up, but I’m sure it’s very uncomfortable for her. She’s otherwise normal (eating, drinking, exploring), though I’m not 100% sure whether she’s laying - hard to tell in the winter and with our other hens also laying.

Any ideas on what to do for her? I’ve tried treating as vent gleet with an antifungal cream, and giving a bit of yogurt on occasion (probiotic treat?). I’m not sure what might be the underlying issue here.

I think she’s laying infrequently, but I’m not completely sure. Last fall she did lay, some soft-shelled, some normal, but not sure recently.

Is there anything to be done re: leaking??

Here are a couple photos, attached!
She’s really messy today, I rinsed her off but I’ll need to give her a bath, it’s a bit cold right now though. The grey in her feathers is from her ash/dirt bath, and some of the wetness is from rinsing her as I took pictures, but otherwise you can see how caked up she gets. She also squirted out a bit of white mucus type stuff.

3B42F8CC-CDAD-4778-8F47-7855085FD5D0.jpeg 94C09EFD-1E81-4290-BE7B-EB10DD670867.jpeg

I’d tried treating her for a couple weeks for vent gleet but there didn’t seem to be any improvement. I can try something again if it’d be useful?

Does she have a bad yeasty odor?

I'm thinking since she prolapsed, she may have lost some muscle tone and retention, so is just leaking urates.
Giving her a trim and wash up when she gets messy may be what's needed long term.

Not noticeably, I haven’t noticed any significant odour.

That would make sense. Sounds like she’ll just regularly get baths then! :)

Back
Top Bottom