Pest, but not of any conventional kind.....

Crazy4mypeeps

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Nebraska
Ok, we live on a lake, and we have a pyro-technics guy that lives here too. Well, you can guess, he's testing new boomers, and scaring the crap outta my girls. I feel so bad for them. Honestly, I thought that they were going to drop dead of heart attacks yesterday, after the heat and then him testing. I wish for the next month or so, I could make them wear little chicken ear muffs. AND I know that he has to test his stuff, but UGH! I feel so sorry for the girls.

I don't know what to do to help them, though. They all just run like heck when he does this. And I'm sure that their ears are hurting after words.

He's really good at the "surprise" element of it all. Last year, he scared the heck out of me and hubby when we were working in the garden. It really echo's on our lake.

My sympathies on that. I know your pain.
It is so difficult to handle too. Their right to blow up stuff interferes with your right to peace and quiet. but your peace and quiet doesn't bother him a bit.

I have never figured out how to handle people like that, so I just suffer and wait until they move. (That is my husband's solution, If he did not hold me back, I would shove my husband over there and make him stand up for me!
hide.gif
)

Maybe you could ask him to refrain from the surprise attacks. If you know when they are going to happen, maybe you can prepare the animals by spending some time with them and getting them ...oh, I don't know how you get them ready for it. We just had to wait for scaredy dog to go deaf.

You know, I didn't mind it, really, until we got the chickens. He's lived here about 4 years now, and I just figured it was part of his job. I'm a live and let live kind of a person.

But since we got the chickens, I'm a lot more hesitant to "let live". If you know what I mean.

I hope that they get used to it, the poor things. They just run for under the shed when he does it.
roll.png

Last edited:
We have tourists who come here who start their Fourth of Julys about mid-June and continue into August. They bang away through the night, even though there is a town ordinance they have to quit firing them at 10:00 pm. We had one who would still be firing them at 3:00am. Three of us bought fireworks the next day and waited. Sure enough, the guy fired away until just past 3:00am. Just before 6:00 am, We went through the woods to his lot line and started touching off our fireworks. He came barging out of his house madder than a hornet asking us what we thought we were doing. We asked him how he liked it when he was trying to sleep. It worked. The jerk quit before midnight from them on.
celebrate.gif

For me the noise would be personally annoying, never mind the chickens. We live in the middle of woods so no one makes much noise but me. I like to shoot clays and when we got the chickens I was concerned that they would not like the noise. As it turned out my chicks dont seem to care. I do not shoot right next to them but it is close enough so the noise would be loud but they just seem to look up and then continue going about their business.

If he is testing fireworks you might want to talk to the state and local jurisdiction folks, as it is likely that he running afoul of some explosives safety laws. Testing explosives may just require an isolated test facility.

Don't know but worth looking into.

The birds will adapt. Just like the deaf rabbits at the airport and all the critters on a military bombing range. Giving the birds a place to hide (ie brushpile) may help their peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom