Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
Pics
Wow these quotes are really showing up wonkey!
Ya, I am in city limits so I have to do my best to make things look nice and keep things really clean so I don't get complaints.
I have a nice secure "palace" for my calls but I didn't plan on the big ducks . .but I'm hooked on them now! We also have this trellis thing that was built before the privacy fence to provide some privacy. I think that plus the tree and privacy fence help a little bit from them being an easy target for sky predation.
20180923_183400.jpg
20180923_183417.jpg
20180923_183433.jpg

Yikes I see what you mean. For some reason I thought the pond was in your back yard! Where is the pond? Is the neighbor who likes the ducks the one connected to you or next door where you could use the side yard?

I wouldn't worry about the ac unit. I don't see how that could be a problem. They'd get used to the noise from it.

I'm trying to envision this in the back yard with a fence incorporating that pine tree by going around it somehow so the ducks could get under it. How many of those pines are on your side? I have Leyland cypress trees at the end of my run and put the fence real close to them. The hard part was getting the netting over the top of the fence so nothing can fly in and get them. Where are you (state) anyway? We are out in the country so I know the situation is different. View attachment 1674670 I have 2 runs and 2 pens. One run goes outside the cypress trees and one run that goes in front of the trees. I thinking maybe you could do that? The runs can easily be separated from each other in case I have babies that haven't been introduced to the flock or sick ducks that need to be kept apart. Mostly in the winter they use the inside run.
View attachment 1674678
I learned a horrible hard lesson about not having any netting over the top when a peregrine falcon swooped down and killed my beautiful Daisy. I thought they were too big to be killed. I was wrong. I still cry. I caught it in the "act" and I was too late. Hence the netting you see in this picture. Now every square inch of my duck runs have netting over the top but I still check it a lot to make sure everything is secure. 500 zip ties and 200' of plastic netting from home depot. I love my ducks!
View attachment 1674683

Thank you DuckyDonna for replying so quickly!

Yes the pond is kind of weird, it's in our front yard.

In this video, I'm in my driveway and across the street you can see the pond. And across the pond is the helpful neighbor.

20190215_191053.jpg

The blue circle is the bookcase shelter they came with.

In this picture I'm standing right next to the pond, my house is right behind me.

Sorry about the odd layout, I always thought it was weird to have a backyard with a busy road and a front yard with a peaceful pond.

Feels like it should be other way around, but I hope the video and pictures help you get a better idea!

The ac unit noise isn't to much of a issue but what about noise from cars, especially honking horns?

My room is in the back of the house, and it can get pretty loud from the cars alone.

At least four of those trees are consider to be in our backyard, they are pretty close to one another.

20190215_170153.jpg

You can see three, out of the four trees in this picture.

We live in Missouri and we actually live right outside the city limits, not totally country side but we do live near a cow pastor and someone who owns chickens.

Having two pins/runs is a great idea to separate ducks, and is definitely a idea to consider in the near future.

I am so sorry to hear about Daisy, I would of cried too!
I can't believe you had to witnesses such a awful sight, It breaks my heart to read about your loss.
I was asleep when the third duck got killed and I honestly blamed myself for sleeping in late, I thought maybe if I had been awake durning the time I could of stopped it.

But after reading your post, it sounds like predators are way to quick and I wouldn't of gotten too her in time.

I had no idea hawks could be so vicious, and never consider them to be threat until I posted this thread.

The frist thing the pin is getting is a net, asap!

I cant let anything else happen to these ducks or their future babies, my heart cant take anymore breaking.

Thank you again, for your replies D.D. And thank you for all of the pictures, I enjoy seeing your beautiful duckies and their amazing pin/run!

Wow these quotes are really showing up wonkey!
Ya, I am in city limits so I have to do my best to make things look nice and keep things really clean so I don't get complaints.
I have a nice secure "palace" for my calls but I didn't plan on the big ducks . .but I'm hooked on them now! We also have this trellis thing that was built before the privacy fence to provide some privacy. I think that plus the tree and privacy fence help a little bit from them being an easy target for sky predation. View attachment 1674734 View attachment 1674735 View attachment 1674736
Your place is so pretty! It should be on the cover of a magazine!

It sounds like they have been through a lot. I would do the pen/backyard to keep them as safe as possible. You already know there is is predators.

When using wire--use hardware cloth versus chicken wire. I would put this on the ground around whatever area they are in so nothing can dig under.

In this video, I'm in my driveway and across the street you can see the pond. And across the pond is the helpful neighbor.

View attachment 1674706

In this picture I'm standing right next to the pond, my house is right behind me.

Sorry about the odd layout, I always thought it was weird to have a backyard with a busy road and a front yard with a peaceful pond.

Feels like it should be other way around, but I hope the video and pictures help you get a better idea!

The ac unit noise isn't to much of a issue but what about noise from cars, especially honking horns?

My room is in the back of the house, and it can get pretty loud from the cars alone.

At least four of those trees are consider to be in our backyard, they are pretty close to one another.

View attachment 1674727

We live in Missouri and we actually live right outside the city limits, not totally country side but we do live near a cow pastor and someone who owns chickens.

Having two pins/runs is a great idea to separate ducks, and is definitely a idea to consider in the near future.

I can't believe you had to witnesses such a awful sight, It breaks my heart to read about your loss.
I was asleep when the third duck got killed and I honestly blamed myself for sleeping in late, I thought maybe if I had been awake durning the time I could of stopped it.

But after reading your post, it sounds like predators are way to quick and I wouldn't of gotten too her in time.

I had no idea hawks could be so vicious, and never consider them to be threat until I posted this thread.

I cant let anything else happen to these ducks or their future babies, my heart cant take anymore breaking.

Thank you again, for your replies D.D. And thank you for all of the pictures, I enjoy seeing your beautiful duckies and their amazing pin/run!
As far as noise I think they would get used to that. I live very close to train tracks and it doesn't seem to bother my ducks.

View attachment 1674706

View attachment 1674727

Ok, so lets not get crazy with the new area since you've only got 2 ducks right now. Lets think small and safe! You can alway add on later! Say with maybe 50' of 4' fencing in the back yard go up close to the trees and kinda curve around them with the fence and attach it back to the house. It doesn't have to be a huge run with only the 2 of them. It will then be easier to lay some netting over the top too if it's narrow. It will be plenty big for a little pool and their ark and when they want to go for a swim in the pond you can walk them down to the pond and stay with them while they swim? Or do it all in the front yard but the only thing there is the lack of shade. I got a camo netting that I put over my duck's pool area in the summer when it's really hot even though I've got the trees. Gives the yard a serious redneck fashion statement!

Hey, don't feel bad about knowing nothing. 2 years ago when my neighbor's gave me 4 runners I knew less than nothing. YouTube and various internet sites were my only sources until I found BYC. I've come a long way from knowing nothing but still have a ton to learn! I even hatched some last spring! This web site will not steer you wrong. I wish I had found it sooner. You are doing fine so don't sweat it. We're all just trying to give you ideas from the lessons we've learned.

That must of been interesting getting four at once, you were extra blessed with duckies.

Thank you D.D. I really appreciate all the help and, I am taking everyone's opinions and suggestions to heart, as you all know more about ducks than me.

BYC and YouTube have been a lifesaver lol

If you want them to become friendlier with you, you can sit with them for some time each day and quietly talk to them. You can also feed them treats from your hand. (Alot of ducks like mealworms, but mine like tomatoes better.)
Dog food is bad for anything, but dogs. I have given mine cat food during molting, but not alot.
They need water that is deep enough for them to get their nares (nostrils) in.
Well @Cayuga momma
I think you covered it! :thumbsup

@SansDuck
Bless you for taking care of these abandoned ducks! :bow:bow:bow:bow

I absolutely love how cute your pen and ark is. . but I agree with others that it won't provide much predator protection or shade in summer. Locking them up at night is a must. . and try not to let them out until after sunrise if possible.
I'm not criticising one bit. . I have 6 Cayuga ducks in my back yard in a not predator proof pen myself :oops:
I lock them up at night and put up a sport-berella for them In the summer for some extra shade :)
I let them roam the yard When I'm outside with them or am where I can watch out my kitchen window.
Oh. . I'm also in Missouri! :frow

View attachment 1674696 I've actually made their enclosure bigger since this pic was taken. . and as cute as our little barns are they are hard to herd them inside sometimes when they wanna be stubborn.
One thing I've learned is you will forever be updating/changing/cleaning/redoing things for ducks :gig
Might as well get used to it. Something that works today may or may not work tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]

Shawluvsbirds, thank you for the compliment and the lovely pictures of your duck barn and run, it's so darn adorable.

And yes, you are all right, we really need to get a net on their pin/run as soon as possible!

Oh please, do criticized it. We want a nice looking pin, but the ducks safety comes first!

That umbrella idea is great, I think one over the pool would be a great way for them to swim and have shade at the same time durning summer.

Yay, another Missouri duck owner!

And you are so right about wanting to change things up, we already have future plans for both the pin and the ark.

We will keep you all updated with pictures and videos!

@DuckyDonna @Cayuga momma @Miss Lydia

I forgot to mention, the front yard has three trees all in one spot
20190215_200851.jpg

Once winter is over, they should get their leaves back.
If we extened their run/pin down to the trees, do you think it would provide them with enough shade in the summer?

I cant remember, but I'm pretty sure they are regular oak trees.

We had these trees ever snice we moved in, (they were huge) they sadly had to be cut down as they were dying, and snice we didn't remove the stumps these trees grew soon after.

We could even put a second pool (maybe an actual kiddie pool) in the middle of the trees to give them more water areas snice they might be losing pond time.

And snice the trees are young and still low to the ground, it might provided them with a little bit of a place to hide and get shade.

What is everyone opinion on the trees in the front yard for shade?

Back
Top Bottom