Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
Pics
We are taking a chance with 4 hens and two drakes right now. I would not bring it down to two drakes and two hens. It is going to take someone getting hurt for me to convince the wife that one more drake has to go
I feel your pain. It was working for me last season because one of mine was still young. But I could see things going bad now that they were both fully hormonal. The girls were starting to hide from them :(

I feel your pain. It was working for me last season because one of mine was still young. But I could see things going bad now that they were both fully hormonal. The girls were starting to hide from them :(
I have only seen the runner attempt to mate once but he has knocked the KC drake out of the saddle a few times. Maybe they will get through spring without anything
Bad happening.so far we have had one good experience giving a drake away and another that was not good. I don’t want to give the KC drake away because he is the best fly catcher. The runner drake had us from hello. If we do not have peace, the KC will have to go.

Last edited:
The hardest thing I have had to do is rehome. That is why I use birth control [taking eggs up daily] I am not in it to make money so I don't need to be hatching a lot. But knowing I allowed those ducklings to come into the world and then having to find homes for the extra drakes is hard. It's been about 3 yrs since I had to do that. It's hard for my Muscovy girls that think they should hatch every egg they lay but they get over it eventually. lol Some live where ducks must be popular so rehoming is not so bad but not so much here.

Ok, I hate to be the Debbi downer on this thread.....but I must ask before you get too involved/invested/attached. Which we all are, we all want you to have a great time with these ducks and you’re doing so good too!

Please check your township/city Bi-laws. Are you allowed to ducks(waterfowl) at your residence? I know your neighbors are happy that you are taking care of these beautiful creatures, but you know that someone always has to get their undies in a wad and complain. I know! I know...who would complain?!?
I just want you to make sure you are fully aware of all scopes of having these guys.

Please know that I am truly happy for what you are doing, I just don’t want you get hurt :hugs

Ok, I hate to be the Debbi downer on this thread.....but I must ask before you get too involved/invested/attached. Which we all are, we all want you to have a great time with these ducks and you’re doing so good too!

Please check your township/city Bi-laws. Are you allowed to ducks(waterfowl) at your residence? I know your neighbors are happy that you are taking care of these beautiful creatures, but you know that someone always has to get their undies in a wad and complain. I know! I know...who would complain?!?
I just want you to make sure you are fully aware of all scopes of having these guys.

Please know that I am truly happy for what you are doing, I just don’t want you get hurt :hugs

Oh, it's no problem. Thank you for enjoying the thread, and being concern.

I live in MO, I would find it odd if we were not allowed to have livestock like ducks :0

I'm no law expert, but this is what my area says on livestock as pets.

Screenshot_20190225-205000_Drive.jpg

We are not inside the corporate city limits.
So I think we are okay having our pen/ark infront of the house?

Also our backyard is no where near 40 feet long, their pen/ark would be in the street.

If anyone here is good with laws, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you again for commenting, and I hope you have a great day!

It specifically says they must be in the rear of the lot, not sure why you assume it would be ok to have them in the front... Also, if your property is not large enough, which from the pictures, it does not look like it is, then they are out of code there as well.

Oh, it's no problem. Thank you for enjoying the thread, and being concern.

I live in MO, I would find it odd if we were not allowed to have livestock like ducks :0

I'm no law expert, but this is what my area says on livestock as pets.

View attachment 1684460

We are not inside the corporate city limits.
So I think we are okay having our pen/ark infront of the house?

Also our backyard is no where near 40 feet long, their pen/ark would be in the street.

If anyone here is good with laws, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you again for commenting, and I hope you have a great day!

Hmm, that could be a problem for you. Not to promote breaking laws, but I have seen people just do what they want as long as the neighbors don't care. Sometimes they get away with other time they don't. When they don't it's usually from a neighbor complaining.

It specifically says they must be in the rear of the lot, not sure why you assume it would be ok to have them in the front... Also, if your property is not large enough, which from the pictures, it does not look like it is, then they are out of code there as well.
I think they are ok because he said they are not in the corporate city limits.

20190226_193337.jpg

I assumed we are okay, because we do NOT live in the city limits.

It also says "other pet animals".
You honestly think everyone in our neighborhood who has a pen for their dog is in the 40 feet regulation? Hell no.

Anyways;

I honestly dont think anyone cares, all of the neighbors including us pay extra for living outside the city limits.

I think everyone in the neighborhood has the same feeling of "we can do what we want with our property".

I've only lived in this house for over a decade, close to two decades now.
We are currently the longest residents on our street, that I know of.

Neighbours complaing about one another's yard, has never been a issue.

Back
Top Bottom